Getting boring background stuff out of the way. I was kind of happy to see my counts for the last post were zero. Not afraid to share, it's just not my aim at this point. I don't know if it ever will be.
Tuesday I shot pictures for Freehold's Engaged Theatre Tour's production of The Winter's Tale. Most of the shows I've done in recent years have been Shakespeare in the park. I arrived a little early and the start for this, the last dress rehearsal started a little late as some cue work needed to get done first. There is a magic before a performance, different people preparing in different ways. There is an intense energy, often quiet which permeates. I found it catchy and had to do some stretches and a few (very quiet) vocal and articulator warm-ups which relieve stress for me.
I've worked on a few shows with young/inexperienced directors and stage managers who insist on having everybody participate in warm-ups they liked in training. The upside is this reminds folks to prepare, but someone else's warm-ups are not everyone's cup of tea and can unwind prep work they just did. It is a blissfully ignorant bit of power politics usually motivated by good intentions. If you gotta do that to your cast, leave them sufficient time to do their prep after your version of morning military drills. That is rarely done, and in my experience only if someone asks for the time to be adjusted, and then only for a couple nights. And for me watching individuals warm up in their own ways is something special to see.
Back to photography. I'm only a little familiar with the play, partly because it is hard to follow. It is considered one of the 'problem plays'. Yet I thought it was quite good, even with my head in view finders or watching my feet as I moved about I miss most of it. I hope to go see it as an audience member because it seemed like the best production I've seen of the play.
I haven't shot a show in about a year and only remembered at the last minute to sync up the camera clocks so that the shots from the three different cameras can be sorted in correct chronological order. The last few times I shot productions I made an effort to keep the number of pictures down. Didn't so much this time and ended up with over 900 shots. A lot, but not the most of any show. The hard part is getting the proofs of all the shots loaded the next day after work. Then there were wrinkles with using Flickr so I used DropBox and it turned out there were issues with disk space and permissions for clients. Fixed the later, but the former would have taken hands on with their computer, so copied from DropBox and loaded them to Flickr at work. Gack! Now to start culling and processing those I like best.
I was tired last night and forgot to watch a Tim Burton movie in honor of Mum's birthday. I guess tonight will be the night.
Tuesday I shot pictures for Freehold's Engaged Theatre Tour's production of The Winter's Tale. Most of the shows I've done in recent years have been Shakespeare in the park. I arrived a little early and the start for this, the last dress rehearsal started a little late as some cue work needed to get done first. There is a magic before a performance, different people preparing in different ways. There is an intense energy, often quiet which permeates. I found it catchy and had to do some stretches and a few (very quiet) vocal and articulator warm-ups which relieve stress for me.
I've worked on a few shows with young/inexperienced directors and stage managers who insist on having everybody participate in warm-ups they liked in training. The upside is this reminds folks to prepare, but someone else's warm-ups are not everyone's cup of tea and can unwind prep work they just did. It is a blissfully ignorant bit of power politics usually motivated by good intentions. If you gotta do that to your cast, leave them sufficient time to do their prep after your version of morning military drills. That is rarely done, and in my experience only if someone asks for the time to be adjusted, and then only for a couple nights. And for me watching individuals warm up in their own ways is something special to see.
Back to photography. I'm only a little familiar with the play, partly because it is hard to follow. It is considered one of the 'problem plays'. Yet I thought it was quite good, even with my head in view finders or watching my feet as I moved about I miss most of it. I hope to go see it as an audience member because it seemed like the best production I've seen of the play.
I haven't shot a show in about a year and only remembered at the last minute to sync up the camera clocks so that the shots from the three different cameras can be sorted in correct chronological order. The last few times I shot productions I made an effort to keep the number of pictures down. Didn't so much this time and ended up with over 900 shots. A lot, but not the most of any show. The hard part is getting the proofs of all the shots loaded the next day after work. Then there were wrinkles with using Flickr so I used DropBox and it turned out there were issues with disk space and permissions for clients. Fixed the later, but the former would have taken hands on with their computer, so copied from DropBox and loaded them to Flickr at work. Gack! Now to start culling and processing those I like best.
I was tired last night and forgot to watch a Tim Burton movie in honor of Mum's birthday. I guess tonight will be the night.
1 Comments:
Test Comment
Post a Comment
<< Home