Acting Up

My musings, thoughts, rants, and discoveries. - Scott Maddock

Back to Blogging


I haven't blogged here since 2012. Why am I making a stab at it again?

I realized two things about social media I wanted to get away from. First was that I was often using it as a journal, which is boring and maybe TMI for those platforms. Secondly I was using it too much for my taste, so that I felt like a tool for marketers rather than using social media as a tool for my ends.




Tuesday, December 05, 2006

Past Yesterday

Last night's rehearsal was much better. Not that I'm satisfied with my work, but I had fun and did an okay job. The night before in Edmonds was not so fun. The difference? Organization, and the appearance of regard for the actor. In Edmonds they may have felt they treated the actors with respect, but it was very republican in it's execution. Honestly, I didn't feel disrespected, and there was a actor wrangler, who asked if I was ready the second I walked in. I replied I was pretty early, and she asked if I wanted a little time, and it seemed sincere. The auditors were sitting at their table staring at me in a way that made me sure if I took the offer it would be fatal. It was utterly impersonal. I know that auditors usually don't like the process either, but it would not take a great deal of graciousness to at least pretend to be paying attention. I'd be surprised to get a call back for that one, and if I had to choose between that and another production, well every other auditor/director the last week has made me feel respected and worthy of attention. Pretty easy to decide who I'd rather rehearse with.

It is funny. Sunday I was thrown off balance by three or four auditors who appeared to be ignoring me while they inventoried holes in the ceiling tile. At least I didn't make them lose count. Last night I was thrown off by the warm welcome from the Artistic Director whom I know casually, and introduced me to the other auditors. Now, there is a group I'd love to work with. I took guilt-free time to warm up physically beforehand, and I was able to get back on track right away. Like I said it was not a brilliant audition, but I'd not be surprised to be called back for one of the ensemble roles. I figure/hope it's a toss-up, whether I'm called back.

Here's a fun bit. The second actor after me, was Louise whom I know from Freehold and who did Meisner last year. Then came David who was my classmate in ETI last year, then Ben another of our classmates. Three of the five guys in the class. We got together after Ben was done and had a drink and appetizers at the Wedgewood Broiler. David treated, saying it was outreach for his board duties with Freehold - he just took a position on their board.

I floated my thought about dealing with where we started versus where we were going in ETI and training in general. They didn't feel it like I did, so maybe I was the biggest one sticking me in that rut. Still, I've learned to trust my perception over the years so I can't discount completely the idea that is not entirely an internal challenge to overcome, there are external humps, and I saw it happening to others.

I find it very cool that my classmates and I are auditioning for the same shows. I'd love to work with any of them on a show.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home