Acting Up

My musings, thoughts, rants, and discoveries. - Scott Maddock

Back to Blogging


I haven't blogged here since 2012. Why am I making a stab at it again?

I realized two things about social media I wanted to get away from. First was that I was often using it as a journal, which is boring and maybe TMI for those platforms. Secondly I was using it too much for my taste, so that I felt like a tool for marketers rather than using social media as a tool for my ends.




Friday, November 24, 2006

Giving Thanks

I was about to head over to the folk's house a bit before Noon. My Dad called to see how I was doing, meaning "When will you be here?" He told me it had just stopped snowing at his house when I told him I was about to get on the bike. In hindsight, I should have stuck with my plan.

Instead I jumped in the truck, and when I got to the West Seattle ferry I found the longest backup I'd ever seen. I'd guessed a six boat wait, and that with the sparse schedule thanks to the tax reduction initiatives.

Driving through Tacoma wasn't much better. The 30 minute drive to the Interstate 5 exit took well over three hours. The only time I'd seen that traffic slower was for a 26 car pile up during a Summer Friday rush hour.

I was moments from turning around, and was about get out of the backup to turn around and go home in defeat. I called my Dad to let him know I might be giving up on the holiday commute. That nearly sealed the decision. I felt pressured, and I generally resist pressure as it generally leads to badly considered decisions. I reminded myself they just wanted us to be together. I waited a bit longer than moved out of the queue to exit on Sprague.

The new construction had changed the off ramp from three lanes (one for Sprague and two for SR16 to the bridge) to one poorly marked lane, hence the unusually bad back up. I let out the inner republican, unable to resist cutting in front of an SUV that had just cut into the line. Ironically I immediately got into the right lane which nobody was in for some unknown reason, so I didn't even slow down the traffic. Still, I felt a little guilty.

On the other hand I was extremely hungry and thirsty, as I'd dashed out of the house without breakfast figuring to get some fruit on the ferry, or after a quick drive to Port Orchard. Since getting my diet healthier, I get as grumpy as my Dad when really hungry. My Grandfather was the same way. Terrific tradition. I may have gotten some of their nice characteristics too. That's my hope.

I finally got there after the most miserable commute I remember, aside from faster moving, but sweltering one on the motorcycle last Labor Day. "Hi everybody, it's nice to see you," then immediately on a search for water and a little food. The vegetable tray was my best friend. My thirteen year old nephew Mikey tends to be pretty oblivious to others, and when he started an attempt to yank on my somewhat bushy mustache as a reality check I told him I didn't care if thought it was fake and I'd wallop him if he tried. Luckily he is learning to be aware of others, and he resisted the urge to bring his adolescence to an abrupt and tragic end.

With some water and food I became nearly human, and an hour later the rest of the family arrived. So we had the kids and grandkids for our nuclear family. I'm grateful one of my parents is someone we like to spend time with. My stepmom is a gift too.

It was a great family gathering, and I left an hour or two after dinner. That earlier long drive while starving took a bit out of me, and traffic returning was only slowed down approaching the bridge. It only took me about 80-90 minutes to get home, maybe ten or twenty minutes longer than doing the trip without any slow downs.

I was beat, and glad to be home. Watched Kolchak and had another meal, and feasted on some dark chocolate. Even though I managed to wait several hours after the first course, turkey does make one hungry. I think put on a pound yesterday. Actually pretty modest for an American my size.

Lots of things to give thanks for. The last year has been a good one, and I'm half-way maybe more to an optimal weight for myself. Our country is turning away from fear, greed, and fascism. Not enough to make us admirable again, but at least we're on the right track for the moment. Let's just hope those with financial motives in subjugating the country have trouble finding people to listen to their vile voices. I'm afraid I'll be cynical for the rest of my life about the goodness of our country. It seems like the inherent courage and generosity of our nation is in balance with offsetting and inherent cowardice and greed. I'm thankful we're moving in the right direction for now, and hoping to nurture that growth in whatever way I can.

Plus, I got to hear Alice's Restaurant. A number of radio stations play it at Noon on Thanksgiving, and have for many years. Since I was initially planning on taking the motorcycle, I'd brought up a copy on YouTube. It was 22 1/2 minutes long and talked of the original version, then a couple hours later while stuck in traffic I got to hear the original version. For me that was another treat.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home