On My Feet
So... Last night was very nice. The ravages of my cold weren't the biggest obstacle, I felt my best physically in over a month -- since the viral review of colds started promenading in my head and throat. I was so much more present and focused. I've no idea if cast and crew saw a difference, but I sure as Hell felt it and am really looking forward to tonight.
I even noticed and enjoyed my new physicality a lot more. Just the warm-up was hugely different. My voice was easier to warm-up and loosen without having to constantly clear it and hold back coughing fits. I had a couple horrible coughing fits on stage, but managed to keep them in control so I didn't interrupt lines/actions. One person thought it was good the way I made the coughing seem so real... Maybe I covered a lot better than I'd hoped for. Also while I was stretching and such it is a lot easier to breathe. Not only the reduced congestion, but the reduced belly. While having the belly in the way helped me expand the back of rib cage in order to get a little breath, I can breath deeply now in the same stress positions.
Mostly I was able to really explore the character a lot more. Previously, I'd been directing most of my energy towards staying in the world of the play, so I'd not lose focus or connection. Last night I didn't have to consciously struggle with that or my lines, those two basics came so much more easily. I was getting more specific, getting more affected, etc. And, my voice was working! Now that it is finally almost normal, the last month has made it seem a bit strange. I dropped off voice a couple times, but I'd say I had good projection for all but three or four sentences.
Too damn bad we're closing tonight. This is where I felt I should have been the last week of rehearsal. And while I'm disappointed with most of the run, my work probably doesn't compare to what I did before ETI. It is a good show though, and the audiences are loving it and talking about it animatedly during intermission and afterwards. While I'm frustrated I didn't do better it is nice to start feeling the edges of where I can go. Like finding the water's edge on an iceberg. There's a lot more above you, and another magnitude right under the surface.
One of my co-workers came last night. Phil has a degree as a concert pianist, and he quite enjoyed the show, checking on their season schedule. Vince also came. He was the artistic director for Exchange Theatre, and wrote one of my letters of recommendation for ETI. I saw him before the show, and when I felt the instruments clicking during warm up I felt better. I really wanted to validate his support. Plus he is a friend and terrific actor/director himself and a good person.
Greg also showed up. He's come to more of my shows than anyone but my folks and maybe Beth. That's a good friend. We hung out for an hour or two after the show at Racha's. It's moderately priced, but they have terrific seafood and a simple bar. Jenny from the cast, and Frank and Lea other friends of Greg's, and like Greg alumni of Next Step Theater, were with us too. Five was a nice sized group, and the get together lasted the perfect length of time. I had a small very small snack (a small carrot I think) when I got home, and too much chocolate. Three bars. They aren't very big, but then I realized 4.5 ounces is over a quarter pound. Then I felt like a big fat pig. Still slept great though. The best night's sleep in a month.
I'm off for closing night. Looking forward to it, and a little rest, though I'm hoping to schedule at least one audition next week...
I even noticed and enjoyed my new physicality a lot more. Just the warm-up was hugely different. My voice was easier to warm-up and loosen without having to constantly clear it and hold back coughing fits. I had a couple horrible coughing fits on stage, but managed to keep them in control so I didn't interrupt lines/actions. One person thought it was good the way I made the coughing seem so real... Maybe I covered a lot better than I'd hoped for. Also while I was stretching and such it is a lot easier to breathe. Not only the reduced congestion, but the reduced belly. While having the belly in the way helped me expand the back of rib cage in order to get a little breath, I can breath deeply now in the same stress positions.
Mostly I was able to really explore the character a lot more. Previously, I'd been directing most of my energy towards staying in the world of the play, so I'd not lose focus or connection. Last night I didn't have to consciously struggle with that or my lines, those two basics came so much more easily. I was getting more specific, getting more affected, etc. And, my voice was working! Now that it is finally almost normal, the last month has made it seem a bit strange. I dropped off voice a couple times, but I'd say I had good projection for all but three or four sentences.
Too damn bad we're closing tonight. This is where I felt I should have been the last week of rehearsal. And while I'm disappointed with most of the run, my work probably doesn't compare to what I did before ETI. It is a good show though, and the audiences are loving it and talking about it animatedly during intermission and afterwards. While I'm frustrated I didn't do better it is nice to start feeling the edges of where I can go. Like finding the water's edge on an iceberg. There's a lot more above you, and another magnitude right under the surface.
One of my co-workers came last night. Phil has a degree as a concert pianist, and he quite enjoyed the show, checking on their season schedule. Vince also came. He was the artistic director for Exchange Theatre, and wrote one of my letters of recommendation for ETI. I saw him before the show, and when I felt the instruments clicking during warm up I felt better. I really wanted to validate his support. Plus he is a friend and terrific actor/director himself and a good person.
Greg also showed up. He's come to more of my shows than anyone but my folks and maybe Beth. That's a good friend. We hung out for an hour or two after the show at Racha's. It's moderately priced, but they have terrific seafood and a simple bar. Jenny from the cast, and Frank and Lea other friends of Greg's, and like Greg alumni of Next Step Theater, were with us too. Five was a nice sized group, and the get together lasted the perfect length of time. I had a small very small snack (a small carrot I think) when I got home, and too much chocolate. Three bars. They aren't very big, but then I realized 4.5 ounces is over a quarter pound. Then I felt like a big fat pig. Still slept great though. The best night's sleep in a month.
I'm off for closing night. Looking forward to it, and a little rest, though I'm hoping to schedule at least one audition next week...

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home