Neato, Oh No
I don't like committing to vacation. I keep feeling like maybe I should do this, or that, or some other thing I'm overlooking. Plus thanks to peer and master driven american dysfunction, I have trouble getting over the feeling of doing something uncomfortably amoral or dirty when I'm on vacation, and usually I like that feeling.
It's going to be a bit of a repeat of my September vacation, but with colder weather. Probably no kayaking this time around, but maybe a bonfire or two as there won't be any burn bans with the rainfall we've been having. Hopefully more horseback riding though. I'll look into rentals for when I'm back to Duncan. So here's the geography. Aaron and Sonya live on 40/80 acres on Denman Island (it's 80 acres they share with land partners -- nice people -- artisans I got some turquoise from) which is a couple hours north of Duncan, and just a mile off the leeward coast of Vancouver Island. Kalon, Dave, Jade, Kali, and Cullen live in Duncan in a duplex they share with Dave's mum, which is a bit over an hour north of Victoria, BC. Except for two year old Cullen who's visited a couple times, they have all been my housemates for a couple years or more. I thought it might be fun to take the older kids in Duncan for a ride if they've stables nearby, and I think I saw some last time. They used to live in a more rural area (Duvall, Washington), and would likely enjoy it.
It turns out I had more vacation to burn than I thought. We can carry over 3 weeks worth, and I noticed Tuesday that halfway through November I had 165 hours on the books, already 45 hours more than I could carry over. There'll be another two days accrued by the end of the year. So, instead of the five days off I'd expected, it'll be eight days off. Nice surprise, with a bit more of that dysfunctional guilt. Good God, stop the presses, that's less than two weeks away. Cool.
It would be sweet if I was doing some homework for a show while I'm up there. We'll see how auditions go the next week and a half. I just asked for an audition slot for Tartuffe, and also saw that the Greenstage audition notice was just reposted. I hope that means good news for me, while at the same time I feel bad they didn't a stronger response. I keep hearing how there is a shortage of guys in the age range I can play, and I see it is so for every show I've worked behind the scenes. It never seems to be a factor when I audition though. I know, sob, sob, whine, whine. I've enjoyed every show I've been in, whether I was pre-cast, competed against lots of other auditors, or was cast for lack of anyone else.
I'll be taking my laptop with me, and maybe I'll actually get some writing done. I'm picturing neat little coffee shops in the Great White North where I can huddle and write. I'll have extra time in both locales. I do love visiting, but I love my own time when I vacation too. I'll be up there for 11 days, coming back Christmas Eve, for a nice vacation spool down. The 26th is a holiday for us and I think it may be a hibernation day for me. Though if I get nicely relaxed in Canada I'll probably be calling all my local friends to see if they want to do anything.
It's going to be a bit of a repeat of my September vacation, but with colder weather. Probably no kayaking this time around, but maybe a bonfire or two as there won't be any burn bans with the rainfall we've been having. Hopefully more horseback riding though. I'll look into rentals for when I'm back to Duncan. So here's the geography. Aaron and Sonya live on 40/80 acres on Denman Island (it's 80 acres they share with land partners -- nice people -- artisans I got some turquoise from) which is a couple hours north of Duncan, and just a mile off the leeward coast of Vancouver Island. Kalon, Dave, Jade, Kali, and Cullen live in Duncan in a duplex they share with Dave's mum, which is a bit over an hour north of Victoria, BC. Except for two year old Cullen who's visited a couple times, they have all been my housemates for a couple years or more. I thought it might be fun to take the older kids in Duncan for a ride if they've stables nearby, and I think I saw some last time. They used to live in a more rural area (Duvall, Washington), and would likely enjoy it.
It turns out I had more vacation to burn than I thought. We can carry over 3 weeks worth, and I noticed Tuesday that halfway through November I had 165 hours on the books, already 45 hours more than I could carry over. There'll be another two days accrued by the end of the year. So, instead of the five days off I'd expected, it'll be eight days off. Nice surprise, with a bit more of that dysfunctional guilt. Good God, stop the presses, that's less than two weeks away. Cool.
It would be sweet if I was doing some homework for a show while I'm up there. We'll see how auditions go the next week and a half. I just asked for an audition slot for Tartuffe, and also saw that the Greenstage audition notice was just reposted. I hope that means good news for me, while at the same time I feel bad they didn't a stronger response. I keep hearing how there is a shortage of guys in the age range I can play, and I see it is so for every show I've worked behind the scenes. It never seems to be a factor when I audition though. I know, sob, sob, whine, whine. I've enjoyed every show I've been in, whether I was pre-cast, competed against lots of other auditors, or was cast for lack of anyone else.
I'll be taking my laptop with me, and maybe I'll actually get some writing done. I'm picturing neat little coffee shops in the Great White North where I can huddle and write. I'll have extra time in both locales. I do love visiting, but I love my own time when I vacation too. I'll be up there for 11 days, coming back Christmas Eve, for a nice vacation spool down. The 26th is a holiday for us and I think it may be a hibernation day for me. Though if I get nicely relaxed in Canada I'll probably be calling all my local friends to see if they want to do anything.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home