Acting Up

My musings, thoughts, rants, and discoveries. - Scott Maddock

Back to Blogging


I haven't blogged here since 2012. Why am I making a stab at it again?

I realized two things about social media I wanted to get away from. First was that I was often using it as a journal, which is boring and maybe TMI for those platforms. Secondly I was using it too much for my taste, so that I felt like a tool for marketers rather than using social media as a tool for my ends.




Monday, November 17, 2008

A Dysfunctional Relationship With... me

This weekend should be my first full day off since August. Office move, and my computers will be offline, so I can't even connect from the house to work. Yippee!

I'll be starting my annual two weeks of pager duty, but that rarely requires working on-site, as we are basically called when understanding the problem and reassigment assistance is needed. Here's hoping it's a call free two weeks.

I've been pretty busy with the day job and two classes at Freehold. The Solo Performance piece is at Freehold this Sunday at 8pm if you're in the area and interested. It is my first stab at solo work, and after only four weeks of work none of us in the class are sanguine about our work, though I think everybody else is doing great. I have a piece around McCarthyism I'd like to start developing with solo work, but I needed to get this more personal one out of my way for several reasons. I have had some success. My goal is to present the history around the dysfunctional relationship with my Mother, but not as a vent or a justification for either of us.

As Sgt. Friday would say, "Just the facts, Ma'am." There is more than that of course, and my challenge was to get through the piece without being overwhelmed by the baggage. Building on that analogy, there is a big pile of baggage, most of it meaningless, and a lot of it useless in that nothing can or should be done at this point. There are a few items which need to be looked at, and the trick is keeping out of the way when the rest come tumbling down.

I find myself going back to basics. Take the text and work on flat reads, so it's just the words and as they're mine, some concurrent wordsmithing. I'm working on getting to a pretty neutral presentation, then working the text. The larger beats I know since I wrote it, but working the operative words and phrases will allow me to say what I intended with the text, rather than the unhelpful habitual emotional responses from all that old baggage. It seems to be working a little... I hope I've got a lot more of those kinks worked out by Sunday.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home