Flying For Obama
I ordered new Naval Aviator's wings. I couldn't find my old ones, and as a combat veteran and former Naval Aviator (Naval Flight Officer) I am rabid about this election. I wanted to state my conviction, especially for those that claim to support to the military while using us like a moist towellette and tossing us in the shit can when our blood is no longer needed to salve over their cowardice.
I heard rumors about McCain, or McFlame as I remember one sailor calling him, when I was active duty. I disregarded them as much as I could, and like so many thought he was a breath of fresh air in previous presidential elections. It was in the last year that I realized the rumors treated him kindly. It was not unusual or inappropriate for POW's to be given license. As far as we were all concerned they paid their dues. We knew the Viet Cong did not screen prisoners, taking only those with strong resumes.
So, along with heroes and average guys some dirtballs were taken captive as well. I've read his record, and I suspect McCain was the latter, and that being abused didn't turn him into the politically weak and unprincipled man he is today. That is probably who he has always been, from the day he was born into a house with servants reminiscent of slavery. He grew up at a time when many minority enlisted troops were stewards, basically personal household servants for senior officers with no rights and the weight of military law keeping them completely obedient. Some grow up in that elitist environment and manage to retain their souls. Sadly, it appears McCain didn't have the strength or will to let himself be inconvenienced by a soul.
So, I will wear nice shirts for a while, to honor the wings which represent the sacrifices large and small made by our troops from the founding of our country until now. And to honor my personal obligation to truly support them I will wear the button of the candidate who I believe will give them real support instead of wasting them along with the power and reputation of our once great nation. It is the only way to make us a great nation again. I will speak against individuals and actions from any party which make us less than we should be.
I was surprised to find that I couldn't wear my wings today. They have a deep personal meaning for me, and wearing them with a T-shirt is not something I am at all comfortable with. For my actor friends who have taken mask (or in any way imbued an object with power) this is an easy concept. The first thing we did in neutral mask was learn to shoe and unshoe the mask, never in view, and to handle the mask with care and honor. Those wings are imbued with several years of hard work, challenge, and perseverance. Earning them is one of the accomplishments I am most proud of. Treating them with honor, gives the political statement more deeply personal meaning for me.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home