Acting Up

My musings, thoughts, rants, and discoveries. - Scott Maddock

Back to Blogging


I haven't blogged here since 2012. Why am I making a stab at it again?

I realized two things about social media I wanted to get away from. First was that I was often using it as a journal, which is boring and maybe TMI for those platforms. Secondly I was using it too much for my taste, so that I felt like a tool for marketers rather than using social media as a tool for my ends.




Tuesday, September 30, 2008

A Real Representative -- Thank You Mr. Jay Inslee!

I called Jay Inslee's office on Monday, and talked to a live staffer! Voice mail for Murray, and Cantwell's voice mail was whacked. The man I talked to mentioned other people had told him Cantwell's voice mail was broken. I've railed on her a number of times for supporting Bush fear tactics and corporations too often, so that didn't make me think she is suddenly interested in non-millionaires.

Inslee (like my experiences with Murray in the past) was a refreshing difference. I wasn't rushed and was able to cogently state my concerns, that we not rush through a bill for a huge bailout, which removes any motive for exercising responsibility for the corporations who made the mess. As I griped earlier, I really don't want to support the republican fantasy of depleting government funds for their rich buddies at the expense of social security and any hope of meaningful health care reform.

Apparently a lot of other people voiced the same concern, and the Honorable Mr. Inslee listened to us instead of dubya's latest calls of "Wolf!"

Now, I wish I'd made the obvious suggestion. Give them 70 billion with a preponderance of strings, and make sure it is invested wisely and that the corporals of industry are forced to ask for more every damn time it is needed, instead of passively waiting around for their slice of our pie.

Why should we be rushed? The neo-con government and their corporate partners have never rushed to help us (Katrina, bridges, and other infratructure), and I'd challenge the notion they've ever done anything with the primary aim of helping their constituents/customers. I do not believe this is very urgent, and certainly not as dire as the chicken-hawks declare. At least make them sweat while they wait for their corporate welfare checks. Maybe it will make them less sanguine about the republican culture of entitlement.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I agree with you on this. I heard Inslee speak on KUOW after the vote and he made me pleased that he's from Washington state.

My rep, Rick Larsen, sadly voted for the bill. I've had good dealings with Mr. Larsen and generally support him, but I phoned his office to let him know that he blew this vote. Unfortunately, I didn't think to call him before the vote.

6:58 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home