Now, Wasn't That Nice
Whoops, I was typing along yesterday and left a last name. Fixed that. It was one of those casual friends who you think of by their entire name to place them in the scheme of your universe.
I woke up just fine today, no free floating anger. Just tossing a good part of the night -- too much coffee, too late. I meant to get decaf, and should have poured it out. I actually enjoyed and got a good deal out of the Al-Anon meeting last night, and for the first time look forward to the next one. If you ever find yourself in a situation where such a meeting is appropriate go even if you don't feel like you want or need it. It would have helped me deal with my mother and uncles 25 years ago if I'd gone. I'm dealing with that as much as the current addict. I've referred to my mother and uncles as life force vampires for a long time. It is an apt description for any addict. As they destroy their lives, is there a drive to suck the juice out of other people for themselves?
I'm going to the opera tonight. I always look forward to that, and this is the Seattle Opera Young Artist's production of Verdi's Falstaff. Rehearsal for Arsenic And Old Lace tomorrow, then seeing Inherit The Wind in Renton. Finally, Easter dinner with Beth and Peg (her mom) on Sunday afternoon. It's shaping up to be a pretty darn good weekend.
The anger I woke up with Thursday as a result of an intense show which resonated with my personal situation was helpful. It brought to a head something which was bothering me deeply, and I had to either bury it deeper or deal with it. I chose the latter, and feel 100% better. It was a good solid show, and would have affected me in any case. Very strong, but not a spectacular show. It was life changing for me though. I've been to shows which were life-changing because they were so damn good, spectacularly so. R. Buckminster Fuller at the Intiman, Journey's End by Exchange Theatre, and King John by Upstart Crow. There are others I remember because they were damn good and I had some connection to, like Rachel's Medea, Proof at the Bathhouse, and The Accrington Pals by Exchange Theatre. Knowing that a good solid and truthful show can have the same affect because of one's life situation is powerful. It is also a motivation to give your all to any show.
Today's been a good day. I spoke for an hour, a meeting for stakeholders in a project. It's called a dev initiative, a project that is conceived and driven by a programmer. This is for a massive data clean up process, which will be automated dropping old data automatically while keeping some around longer. This is to support people who use the system as a critical aspect of their job, while keeping the space requirements in check and enhancing performance. Otherwise the other folks who own this critical system will revoke their access making their job much harder.
I think I have come up with a working solution that will make things much better for all concerned. Not only was I explaining the change in process as will be enforced by changed permissions and the automation I'll program, I was selling the change. I had fun though. In conclusion after questions were answered I said, "This is basically a friendly way of instituting what could feel like draconian requirements. Like Teddy said, 'Speak softly, but carry a big stick.'" The light-hearted chuckling response told me I accomplished my goals. I explained the new process. I got buy off. I have, for now anyway, enlisted the stakeholders as partners in the project. A tricky balance, as I want to have two way communications on this, so they are empowered both to affect change and get clarification in response to concerns.
Now I'm eating some reheated fried rice. One of my comfort foods. In a few minutes I'll be heading out for some errands including a stop at LensCrafters. I destroyed my last pair of glasses pretty quickly, and I called them a couple hours ago. They had one more pair of the clearance frames I got a couple months ago, and now I can read the super titles at the opera without having the lens fall out. Yup, it's an auspicious start to the weekend.
Happy Easter my friends.
I woke up just fine today, no free floating anger. Just tossing a good part of the night -- too much coffee, too late. I meant to get decaf, and should have poured it out. I actually enjoyed and got a good deal out of the Al-Anon meeting last night, and for the first time look forward to the next one. If you ever find yourself in a situation where such a meeting is appropriate go even if you don't feel like you want or need it. It would have helped me deal with my mother and uncles 25 years ago if I'd gone. I'm dealing with that as much as the current addict. I've referred to my mother and uncles as life force vampires for a long time. It is an apt description for any addict. As they destroy their lives, is there a drive to suck the juice out of other people for themselves?
I'm going to the opera tonight. I always look forward to that, and this is the Seattle Opera Young Artist's production of Verdi's Falstaff. Rehearsal for Arsenic And Old Lace tomorrow, then seeing Inherit The Wind in Renton. Finally, Easter dinner with Beth and Peg (her mom) on Sunday afternoon. It's shaping up to be a pretty darn good weekend.
The anger I woke up with Thursday as a result of an intense show which resonated with my personal situation was helpful. It brought to a head something which was bothering me deeply, and I had to either bury it deeper or deal with it. I chose the latter, and feel 100% better. It was a good solid show, and would have affected me in any case. Very strong, but not a spectacular show. It was life changing for me though. I've been to shows which were life-changing because they were so damn good, spectacularly so. R. Buckminster Fuller at the Intiman, Journey's End by Exchange Theatre, and King John by Upstart Crow. There are others I remember because they were damn good and I had some connection to, like Rachel's Medea, Proof at the Bathhouse, and The Accrington Pals by Exchange Theatre. Knowing that a good solid and truthful show can have the same affect because of one's life situation is powerful. It is also a motivation to give your all to any show.
Today's been a good day. I spoke for an hour, a meeting for stakeholders in a project. It's called a dev initiative, a project that is conceived and driven by a programmer. This is for a massive data clean up process, which will be automated dropping old data automatically while keeping some around longer. This is to support people who use the system as a critical aspect of their job, while keeping the space requirements in check and enhancing performance. Otherwise the other folks who own this critical system will revoke their access making their job much harder.
I think I have come up with a working solution that will make things much better for all concerned. Not only was I explaining the change in process as will be enforced by changed permissions and the automation I'll program, I was selling the change. I had fun though. In conclusion after questions were answered I said, "This is basically a friendly way of instituting what could feel like draconian requirements. Like Teddy said, 'Speak softly, but carry a big stick.'" The light-hearted chuckling response told me I accomplished my goals. I explained the new process. I got buy off. I have, for now anyway, enlisted the stakeholders as partners in the project. A tricky balance, as I want to have two way communications on this, so they are empowered both to affect change and get clarification in response to concerns.
Now I'm eating some reheated fried rice. One of my comfort foods. In a few minutes I'll be heading out for some errands including a stop at LensCrafters. I destroyed my last pair of glasses pretty quickly, and I called them a couple hours ago. They had one more pair of the clearance frames I got a couple months ago, and now I can read the super titles at the opera without having the lens fall out. Yup, it's an auspicious start to the weekend.
Happy Easter my friends.
0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home