Moving
Easter is a time I am reminded of the grand scale of human potential. Hope on the one hand, our despairing failure to improve the human condition on the other. We are driven by love and compassion, fear and greed; caring and community, isolation and callousness. We stone queers, abortionists, Jews, Muslims, Hindus, thieves, addicts, prostitutes, etc. All in the name of Jesus, who refused to even stone a whore, and instead embraced her into his life. Money and it's trappings conquers all in our society. SUV's, throw away electronics, slavery off-shored, using the rest of the world alternately as our personal goldmine and garbage heap.
Yet there is hope. The movie V for Vendetta states it nicely on the grand scale. "People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people." This should be an absolute, and applicable to any group which exerts power. Be it government, corporation, church, temple, or Camp Fire Girls. Our current privatized government spends every hour of every day trying to subvert that, keeping the population paralyzed in terror. They are still a little afraid of us, no matter how much secrecy and perverted patriotism in which they self-enshroud, they fear the electorate may wake up. As a result we are seeing the American Hubris play out around us, even through our blithe irritation at trivial matters like shoddy products (made by our off-shored slaves). The debate should not be whether we are living in a state of hubris. The question is will the American people go down with the corrupt rulers and corporations we serve? It is a loaded, leading question. Appropriately so. We should not be serving them. They should be serving us. Only a moron or coward would refuse to acknowledge this.
I'm writing quickly, because I've a full day planned. I've already walked to the barrista for my caffeine treat, just finished that and a nice hot breakfast. Hoping for a long enough break in the weather to mow the lawn. Oh, and I've already worked a couple monologues for tomorrow's audition, and need to do a lot more. There lies the hope. I'm moving forward, still not sure where but I feel the changes spiritually, intellectually, physically, emotionally. Now, I've always thought the deathbed confession was pure bullshit. Actions speak louder than words. Yet, we communicate through words. They are the tools, and the underlying actions are what matter. I feel I'm building my vocabulary of action, to say something meaningful. I don't know if it will have meaning for one single person in the world. That is a daunting thought. "You can't love anyone until you can love yourself." That corollary is a component of the concept I'm trying to communicate.
Yesterday I spent three or four hours writing. Didn't have something planned just started writing. About eleven pages, something with the feeling of an impending train wreck. It left me emotionally drained and tired, and wanting to study the artistic pursuit I'd made up for one of the characters. I may submit it for a one act contest my folks pointed me to. In another 3-4 hours I think I'll have something workable, a harsh slice of life piece which could serve as a start for a full length script.
Now, it is time to see if I can get the mower started and cut the front lawn. Black clouds were moving in. The weather will drive part of my day. I will come back to the writing on that script, and whether it is a 30-60 minute editing session or another couple hours is up to the weather gods. I leave at three for dinner at Beth's, and in between other activities I need to keep exploring the monologues to keep my slow audition improvement moving.
Yet there is hope. The movie V for Vendetta states it nicely on the grand scale. "People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people." This should be an absolute, and applicable to any group which exerts power. Be it government, corporation, church, temple, or Camp Fire Girls. Our current privatized government spends every hour of every day trying to subvert that, keeping the population paralyzed in terror. They are still a little afraid of us, no matter how much secrecy and perverted patriotism in which they self-enshroud, they fear the electorate may wake up. As a result we are seeing the American Hubris play out around us, even through our blithe irritation at trivial matters like shoddy products (made by our off-shored slaves). The debate should not be whether we are living in a state of hubris. The question is will the American people go down with the corrupt rulers and corporations we serve? It is a loaded, leading question. Appropriately so. We should not be serving them. They should be serving us. Only a moron or coward would refuse to acknowledge this.
I'm writing quickly, because I've a full day planned. I've already walked to the barrista for my caffeine treat, just finished that and a nice hot breakfast. Hoping for a long enough break in the weather to mow the lawn. Oh, and I've already worked a couple monologues for tomorrow's audition, and need to do a lot more. There lies the hope. I'm moving forward, still not sure where but I feel the changes spiritually, intellectually, physically, emotionally. Now, I've always thought the deathbed confession was pure bullshit. Actions speak louder than words. Yet, we communicate through words. They are the tools, and the underlying actions are what matter. I feel I'm building my vocabulary of action, to say something meaningful. I don't know if it will have meaning for one single person in the world. That is a daunting thought. "You can't love anyone until you can love yourself." That corollary is a component of the concept I'm trying to communicate.
Yesterday I spent three or four hours writing. Didn't have something planned just started writing. About eleven pages, something with the feeling of an impending train wreck. It left me emotionally drained and tired, and wanting to study the artistic pursuit I'd made up for one of the characters. I may submit it for a one act contest my folks pointed me to. In another 3-4 hours I think I'll have something workable, a harsh slice of life piece which could serve as a start for a full length script.
Now, it is time to see if I can get the mower started and cut the front lawn. Black clouds were moving in. The weather will drive part of my day. I will come back to the writing on that script, and whether it is a 30-60 minute editing session or another couple hours is up to the weather gods. I leave at three for dinner at Beth's, and in between other activities I need to keep exploring the monologues to keep my slow audition improvement moving.
1 Comments:
That was very, um, moving. :)
With the amount of contempt our elected and unelected leaders heap upon us, I would have thought that the public would have been sick of it by now. Yet, I expect that we're going to continue down this path, in spats and spurts, for a while. Is that cynical? Perhaps. But I do expect the day will come when this will not be so and our leaders will once again fear us in earnest. There is hope.
Post a Comment
<< Home