Acting Up

My musings, thoughts, rants, and discoveries. - Scott Maddock

Back to Blogging


I haven't blogged here since 2012. Why am I making a stab at it again?

I realized two things about social media I wanted to get away from. First was that I was often using it as a journal, which is boring and maybe TMI for those platforms. Secondly I was using it too much for my taste, so that I felt like a tool for marketers rather than using social media as a tool for my ends.




Thursday, April 12, 2007

Getting Bugged

I still feel pretty yucky. Oh joy, just what you want to read about. Last year I was slammed with ETI (full-time professional conservatory training for acting) and a full time job. Basically 80 hours a week. I only had minor health issues, and this year I've been getting every cold, bug, or flu from anyone within 100 miles. I'm working the fourth(?) rehearsal process since graduating last July, and I've been dealing with some bug or another for each one. Crap.

I believe one of the skills we gained last year was a better ability to analyze our own work and make adjustments to whatever process we're using to improve. Overall I'd guess that is the most critical tool. For me it is. Without that all the other tools would have no foundation or grounding. I'd like to not feel compromised by the need to recover from some damn bug. Now it's a sore throat, and while I've not checked I'd guess I'm running a fever. My officemate is out, and I just found out he is out with a sore throat, and he and his family are running fevers.

Life's not bad though. I feel frustrated with my current rehearsal process and may even skip my chiropractor appointment and/or Al-Anon tonight to simply get extra sleep. Last night I had my first "Personal Clown" class. I can't tell you much about it yet, but I'm looking forward to the class for lots of reasons. Getting back into some dedicated physical work is always good for me. I have a significantly different physicality now, and that is something to explore. Second, I've wanted to take this class for years, because of the work I've seen others do and now with a light rehearsal schedule I have the opportunity. Third, with some of the writing I'm doing accessing some of those deep places is important, and the physical work helps me both get to those places, and deal with the emotions and ghosts that rip me up in the process. Fourth, and related is the solo type piece I've mentioned. I feel a need to find ways to communicate apparently contradictory things at the same time. Words, action, and physicality gives you three modes. The second, and especially the third are especially supported by this kind of work.

Anyway, the class was great yesterday, despite the fact I've been feeling really off. It is interesting to do this kind of word again. The weight change in turn changes the way I move and increases my range of movement. The conservatory work last year has changed my class experience. I've been knocking myself for seeming to be sickly during rehearsals. It is odd, because overall my health is much better and more robust than any time in the last ten or more years. I have noticed my work is better. My standards and expectations are much higher too. So doing the work in class last night I noticed it was much easier to drop into the work, let go of ideas and play/work.

Damn. I think I may leave work early for the doctor. I just found out my officemate and his family have strep...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home