Java #2
Pretty quiet so far. About seven pages of Deathtrap left. Both the plays have great scripts, and I'd love to work on either. I'll finish up this script in a little while. Maybe I'll look for Tartuffe online and get started on that for next week. Or not. I bet I have at least four copies of it at home. Pretty much every book with works of Moliere in it.
I had an angry theatre night yesterday. Went to see a show with lots of my friends in it. I'd planned to see it Wednesday, but they cancelled the show. Last night it was sold out, but I was there an hour early. The trouble was I couldn't find the house manager to get myself on the wait list. I went into the lobby to use the restroom and look for him, to no avail. Saw the director and several friends, one of whom wrote me a check for the motorcycle I'm selling him. I loaned it to him at the beginning of ETI, and he bonded with it.
I've been house manager a number of times, including stints at the same theater and have always kept wait lists organized, so that it is first come, first served. Not this guy. He waited until the lobby was stuffed and threw open the doors to the mob. I was the first there, but without any line or organization it was a mess. I got on the list, but not until after five or six people who arrived long after I did. They all got in. I think I was next on the list, but close doesn't count when the house is full.
John, the artistic director was one of our ETI instructors, and about half our class plus many others I know are in the company. I was contemplating a nice donation, since I knew most everybody involved and didn't foresee myself being asked to join up. It is the Freehold "in crowd", which I am not a regular part of. I like working other places for a wider range of experience, which I consider important for any post graduate or professional aspirations. My day job limits my time to be in involved that clique, and drives a need for more varied experience. I have never been or felt left out, just had other things in the fire. It somehow makes me feel small, though I'll not tell anyone in the company why. I wanted to donate my last tax refund to two theatre organizations, and was considering four places. It was about a grand, and with corporate gift matching, I can get a grand each for two organizations. Now it's down to three -- I can't donate to a group I've not seen in action even if I'd considered it a shoe in. So that makes my decision easier I suppose.
Reading scripts is fun. Even though it is more likely I won't be cast, I find it very enjoyable imagining working on the play. Kind of like buying lottery tickets, though much better odds. It's fun fantasizing about the pay off. I only buy lottery tickets a couple times a year, so script fantasies are much more common. Well, off to my last seven pages of fantasy.
I had an angry theatre night yesterday. Went to see a show with lots of my friends in it. I'd planned to see it Wednesday, but they cancelled the show. Last night it was sold out, but I was there an hour early. The trouble was I couldn't find the house manager to get myself on the wait list. I went into the lobby to use the restroom and look for him, to no avail. Saw the director and several friends, one of whom wrote me a check for the motorcycle I'm selling him. I loaned it to him at the beginning of ETI, and he bonded with it.
I've been house manager a number of times, including stints at the same theater and have always kept wait lists organized, so that it is first come, first served. Not this guy. He waited until the lobby was stuffed and threw open the doors to the mob. I was the first there, but without any line or organization it was a mess. I got on the list, but not until after five or six people who arrived long after I did. They all got in. I think I was next on the list, but close doesn't count when the house is full.
John, the artistic director was one of our ETI instructors, and about half our class plus many others I know are in the company. I was contemplating a nice donation, since I knew most everybody involved and didn't foresee myself being asked to join up. It is the Freehold "in crowd", which I am not a regular part of. I like working other places for a wider range of experience, which I consider important for any post graduate or professional aspirations. My day job limits my time to be in involved that clique, and drives a need for more varied experience. I have never been or felt left out, just had other things in the fire. It somehow makes me feel small, though I'll not tell anyone in the company why. I wanted to donate my last tax refund to two theatre organizations, and was considering four places. It was about a grand, and with corporate gift matching, I can get a grand each for two organizations. Now it's down to three -- I can't donate to a group I've not seen in action even if I'd considered it a shoe in. So that makes my decision easier I suppose.
Reading scripts is fun. Even though it is more likely I won't be cast, I find it very enjoyable imagining working on the play. Kind of like buying lottery tickets, though much better odds. It's fun fantasizing about the pay off. I only buy lottery tickets a couple times a year, so script fantasies are much more common. Well, off to my last seven pages of fantasy.
0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home