Acting Up

My musings, thoughts, rants, and discoveries. - Scott Maddock

Back to Blogging


I haven't blogged here since 2012. Why am I making a stab at it again?

I realized two things about social media I wanted to get away from. First was that I was often using it as a journal, which is boring and maybe TMI for those platforms. Secondly I was using it too much for my taste, so that I felt like a tool for marketers rather than using social media as a tool for my ends.




Thursday, December 07, 2006

Head Cold Bubba, Really Cold

Go figure. The audition I didn't enjoy, left me a very gracious phone message they had cast the show. Renews my faith and good feelings for that theatre. No other callbacks either. I've a couple auditions this weekend, and dollars to donuts one of them will decide the only time for a callback is when I'm out of town from the 13th-24th.

I have two things on my Christmas list for myself. A good rice cooker. I've got a cheapo, I've learned that Salton/Farberware are the ecko of small appliances. You get slightly less than you pay for. Still it's quick and easy, though it boils over and browns the rice. The other is a new set of clippers. I've an Oster from Costco. Parts are solid, and the guards are not one of them. I'm sporting unintentionally short hair again because it popped off. This time it wasn't a silly bit of business after hanging with friends, it was after my morning coffee and I was wide awake and chipper. At least I'm not a redhead any more. The dye I used faded, from cordovan to more reddish. I don't mind close cropped hair or a shaved pate, but I prefer to choose when. My head was a bit chilled in the helmet this morning.

I go to the chiropractor tonight, then I think I'll bundle up for a movie. Yesterday afternoon I tried several handfuls of peanuts. Didn't bother my gut too much, or at least I don't think so. I got a headache though. And a muscle cramp or ache on the right side of my neck, and the same pain in my chest, the right side. Was some unlisted preservative or the peanuts themselves? The latter I suspect, as I've had bits of peanuts in Thai food and don't remember getting a headache. Damn moderation. It may have upset my stomach too, but I'm not sure as I had a curry for lunch, and I suspect there may have been something there that didn't sit easy. It all makes me a little worn at the moment, and getting toasty in front of the boob tube sounds appealing. If I feel like staying up that late.

It really has me looking forward to my vacation, and hanging out with the laptop in some coffee shops.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Rice maker. I own the Mercedes of rice makers and I have to say that I love the damn thing (even if it cost a lot) 4 years after I bought it. Granted, I eat a lot of rice. But the rice always comes out well, it keeps rice warm for a long time after cooking, I've made one pot dishes in it, and clean up is amazing: just rinse, wipe, rinse - never have scrubbed it.

It's one of the Neuro-Fuzzy logic machines by Zojirushi. Uwejimaya sells it, though you can get a better deal online or through City Kitchens in Seattle.

No matter which model you buy, I recommend The Ultimate Rice Cooker Cookbook by Hensperger and Kaufmann. Some good recipes for all kinds of rice and some decent one pot meals (that always seem to need their spices tweaked, but it gives you a starting point).

6:24 AM  
Blogger Scott said...

I'll be looking for one as soon as I'm back in town.

11:22 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home