Sated
My stepmom sent me home with some turkey left overs. Drumsticks and thighs a bit carved up, and some other bits and pieces including a good bit of white meat. I made a three part process. Pull the meat, crack the bones, and brown the skin and fatty bits. I like making soups, but I didn't have the whole carcass or drippings, so I improvised.
It worked out well, and without going into exhaustive details I'll expound this much. Sauteeing the fatty meat bits and skin together didn't create as much of a dripping flavor as I'd hoped, though it did provide a wonderful combo to fry uncooked rice in. I do that for soups once in a while, sort of a Spanish rice mode of adding rice to soups or casseroles. Often works out nicely.
Then I added the first broth extract and stubborn veggies -- carrots and celery, which take a while to cook -- to the faux drippings and rice. The broth came from smashed bones, and was run through a strainer. With the last bit of stock I added the meat and onions. No more to bore you, but it smelt divine, and the last taste had me wishing I could get a bowl of the finished product without delay.
So it is a good holiday weekend so far. It looked like I've only picked up a pound with the feasting, and the meals have been wonderful. Now I'm making a traditional type turkey soup, with a little extra spice and some hominy and fried brown rice for my signature. I think I'll go get a nice whiskey while my soup finishes simmering, and proof this tomorrow.
One other thing. I had dinner with a very good friend last night. Great food and company, and I feel constrained to leave it at that. Unless said dinner guest cuts me loose from these mortal bonds.
Addendum: I had the soup for a late breakfast this morning, and it was as good as when the tastes gave me shivers of yumminess and the bowl I had last night. Pretty standard ingredients, but for the hominy and sauteed brown rice kernels. I badly wanted a second bowl, but realized I was full. Surprising thing this morning. I think overall I've actually taken a pound or two off this week. I thought with the slightly richer foods and feasting, and missing a lot of breakfasts I'd be back in storage mode. I don't think on it much, except when I write here, but my overall diet has radically changed. I think of it as more of a lifestyle change than a diet. I wasn't initially motivated by the desire to lose weight, rather by being tired of digestive problems and discomfort. Well, the weight loss has certainly been a great motivation to stick to the change.
It worked out well, and without going into exhaustive details I'll expound this much. Sauteeing the fatty meat bits and skin together didn't create as much of a dripping flavor as I'd hoped, though it did provide a wonderful combo to fry uncooked rice in. I do that for soups once in a while, sort of a Spanish rice mode of adding rice to soups or casseroles. Often works out nicely.
Then I added the first broth extract and stubborn veggies -- carrots and celery, which take a while to cook -- to the faux drippings and rice. The broth came from smashed bones, and was run through a strainer. With the last bit of stock I added the meat and onions. No more to bore you, but it smelt divine, and the last taste had me wishing I could get a bowl of the finished product without delay.
So it is a good holiday weekend so far. It looked like I've only picked up a pound with the feasting, and the meals have been wonderful. Now I'm making a traditional type turkey soup, with a little extra spice and some hominy and fried brown rice for my signature. I think I'll go get a nice whiskey while my soup finishes simmering, and proof this tomorrow.
One other thing. I had dinner with a very good friend last night. Great food and company, and I feel constrained to leave it at that. Unless said dinner guest cuts me loose from these mortal bonds.
Addendum: I had the soup for a late breakfast this morning, and it was as good as when the tastes gave me shivers of yumminess and the bowl I had last night. Pretty standard ingredients, but for the hominy and sauteed brown rice kernels. I badly wanted a second bowl, but realized I was full. Surprising thing this morning. I think overall I've actually taken a pound or two off this week. I thought with the slightly richer foods and feasting, and missing a lot of breakfasts I'd be back in storage mode. I don't think on it much, except when I write here, but my overall diet has radically changed. I think of it as more of a lifestyle change than a diet. I wasn't initially motivated by the desire to lose weight, rather by being tired of digestive problems and discomfort. Well, the weight loss has certainly been a great motivation to stick to the change.
0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home