Acting Up

My musings, thoughts, rants, and discoveries. - Scott Maddock

Back to Blogging


I haven't blogged here since 2012. Why am I making a stab at it again?

I realized two things about social media I wanted to get away from. First was that I was often using it as a journal, which is boring and maybe TMI for those platforms. Secondly I was using it too much for my taste, so that I felt like a tool for marketers rather than using social media as a tool for my ends.




Monday, November 27, 2006

Bad Movie Tag

Kipley talked about a couple bad movies, and I thought, there's an idea.

Last week I rented Nacho Libre and RV. I had very low expectations, and even those were not approached. I mean shit, the bar was resting on the ground, no effort needed to get over it.

RV had a good cast, but like a few of that director's recent movies the fun towards the end didn't make up for the formulaic boredom of the first 75% of the movie. Even Robin Williams and Jeff Daniels couldn't save that one.

I watched Nacho Libre first, and it made the humdrum uninspired RV soar to the heavens in comparison. It was first, last, and hindmost a vehicle for Jack Black. Hey the guy's okay, but I don't think he is the second coming of Harold Lloyd, or anyone else for that matter. There was not a moment in the whole thing where you didn't know exactly what was coming. Not a shred of risk or originality to relieve the tedium. My brother liked it, and a few others I talked too, but they are on the Jack Black Bandwagon. I'm not generally much of a follower of trendy fads or fashion. It is like when I saw The Mummy Returns, and felt a need to scrape the soles of my shoes afterwards and others were calling it a fragrant rose of a movie. Of course, the bad special effects and butchered plot lines drive them crazy now, but at the time nobody understood why I was so disgusted. The same reason my clothes look dopey. I'm not a trendy fellow.

So if you love SUV's, cigarettes, Macy's, Budweiser, and everything else marketers order you to love you'll love one, maybe both of these movies. If you ain't a hip hyper-consumer don't even consider renting them.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home