Acting Up

My musings, thoughts, rants, and discoveries. - Scott Maddock

Back to Blogging


I haven't blogged here since 2012. Why am I making a stab at it again?

I realized two things about social media I wanted to get away from. First was that I was often using it as a journal, which is boring and maybe TMI for those platforms. Secondly I was using it too much for my taste, so that I felt like a tool for marketers rather than using social media as a tool for my ends.




Monday, July 31, 2006

Road Trip

I made it to Spokane and back without incident. It was warm, with Friday being the tail end of our most recent overbearing heat spell.

I drove out there a bit over the speed limit, and back a bit under. I was expecting to get better mileage, but it didn't seem to make a difference. Then again, my odometer doesn't work, so I can't be too sure.

I had a great visit with my stepbrother. We'd planned to head out for some stargazing, and as we finished dinner on Saturday we saw it was clouding over. Dinner was a treat. I'd bought lamb chops, and Rob had never had them before. He thought them the best meat he'd ever had and will be getting more himself. A friend of his had called earlier to invite us to a play, Shakespeare In Love which was part of The Royal Fireworks Festival & Concert. It consisted of three scenes, Kate and Petruccio from The Taming of the Shrew, then Henry and Catherine from Henry V and finally the balcony scene from Romeo and Juliet. They did each scene twice, first as a sword fight with no next then with an actor and actress using the text. Then in reverse order, with two male actors. A fun show, but we weren't able to find Rob's friend. Still it was fun to have an interested and inquisitive ear to share some of the things I learned about Shakespeare this year.

We did some errands, watched a few dvd's, and did a lot of talking. We don't get together often, which is a shame because we get along so well. I really wanted to hang around longer on Sunday, but the road was waiting. If I go with a motorcycle next time I'll come back a little earlier to avoid the traffic slow down just east of the mountains. The drivers were extremely aggressive, which makes for an uncomfortable ride.

Friday night I met up with Gregory after his shift, and we hung out at The Globe Bar & Grill -- nothing to do with the theater. The MFA program at Rutgers sounds pretty tough. It was interesting in that things that really bothered him I don't think would get to me, but other things that were just part of the course would. Things to make it tough for everybody. It was great talking and I look forward to when he gets over here for a few days. Like all great conversations we had to knock it off while we still wanted to talk. It was really late.

Spokane is a lovely city. I remember going there as an eight year old, and then it was gross to my eye. The world's fair in the mid 70's and subsequent development have made it into a lovely place. I hope to go back again in about a month and try stargazing again, and look forward to it.

Tomorrow I call about flying lessons. So, maybe I'll have more than travelogues to bore you with in the near future while I am on my short theatre hiatus. (I'm itching to get back on the boards.)


2 Comments:

Blogger Just Me said...

You sound to be having a good time there. How come your brother never ate lamb chops before? I can't imagine a life without! There was something else I wanted to say but I've forgotten... tut... ah yes, it was about that city that you said was lovely. It's good to know that there are places that are improving with time. Enjoy the rest of the summer..

2:24 PM  
Blogger Scott said...

We're very beef centric here in US, Inc. I really like rabbit too, and in this country that is considered very exotic. Lamb is only slightly exotic, and goat or kid is nearly unheard of. We may be finally getting some spices so our food is not bland, but the selection is still a little bland. The organic foods (which are under concerted attack by big business and the government) offer a better variety. I hope the stripping of meaning from the organic label that some private entity can become a recognized and reliable certifier.

6:52 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home