Sweat, Sweat, and Tears
Right, now I'm mostly serious. I've been only eating lamb and rice for a week with one exception, for lunch at the Microsoft SQL presentation last Wednesday. Now I keep those deadly dull rice cakes around in case of need. This Wednesday, I'll get fully serious. That means no more coffee, and no more liquor. The latter will be easy, as last week once I realized I was indulging more in my vices since starting the diet I indulged less. The caffeine though, will be tough to give up. I know it whacks my system. Right now I've a cup of decaf by my desk. Unlike nicotine which I quit a little over seven years ago, I can taper off caffeine. That will make my headache on Wednesday when I stop coffee easier to bear, or maybe I'll skip it altogether. Anyway, the decaf suits me just fine in the afternoon. I think I'll stop diet sodas now. I don't drink a lot of those, but that is a little more caffeine too.
Water, lamb, rice. I made it this far, and the challenge of coming up with something that you have not had the last couple days is kind of interesting. A week from Wednesday when I start trying other foods to see what doesn't need to be cut out of my diet will be my little version of entering the promised land. Now I am already feeling better physically, which given the hot weather we've had around here of late is significant.
It was in the mid 90's and 100's in our area this weekend, and barely cooler now. That reminds me of likely my biggest diet sin outside the lunch. I've had a little Gatorade this weekend. If the weather keeps up this way, I'll continue that little variance, and I won't reset the two week calendar for detox'ing my system. Better than heat stroke, which I had as a twelve or thirteen year old, and again in basic training at 26.
Of course, Friday when I went to ride into work I discovered my motorcycle had a flat tire. When it is sunny, it pours. Two weeks since I got the damn thing back on the road. Later in the week I'm going to go check out a used BMW. After two crashes, the ABS really appeals, as well as a bike that is better suited for all year use. So, instead of riding around in stifling heat, I was driving around. At sustained speeds between 40 and 60 the Vanagon seems to do fine. With higher rpm's or lower speeds a little extra is needed to cool the engine, so on comes the heater. Blechhh.
Saturday I went to the open house for some friends, Sally and Vince who founded Exchange Theatre. Vince who was artistic director wrote one of my letters of recommendation for ETI. Before I left Stuart who directed me in Exchange Theatre's production of The Cherry Orchard and wrote one of my other letters showed up. That was nice, then I left for Horseshoe Lake Count Park, in Kitsap County for my 30th high school reunion. I did not get off to an auspicious start.
I got a couple cheap styrofoam coolers, which I filled with ice and soft drinks to take along. Since I was driving with the windows open, I put a case of water bottles in each cooler. (I carried lots of water around for the hot rehearsals and performances of our show.) The stacking made the coolers top heavy and they rolled forward as I left the parking lot. Into another parking lot. It is amazing how much ice will melt in a minute at over 90 degrees. I reoriented the wounded coolers, and of course they fell over sideways this time. Now, one cooler was totaled, the other cracked half way down. By that time I had one cooler full of drinks and ice. Within a few blocks of the store I'd melted half of the three bags of ice.
About 45 minutes later when I got to the park the drinks were cool. I grabbed a couple and started looking for my old classmates. I didn't see anyone I know, nor any signs for "Class of '76" or "SKHS", so I headed over to my Dad's. I didn't have a phone to call the one person I'm still in contact with, or to let my Dad know I would be early. But, when I got home the next day my phone was fully charged.
I forgot their new house doesn't have a/c, and suggested we go to a movie for the air conditioning. So, we saw the new installment of Pirates of the Caribbean. It was fun, but if you haven't seen the first one don't bother. You won't have a clue. Afterwards we stopped by the store so I could get some lamb for my dinner and breakfast.
The following morning I cooked a couple lamb chops for Dad for breakfast too. He wanted to try it for breakfast, though he thought it weird. After breakfast he thought it a wonderful idea. He is usually the breakfast chef for the household, and now has a new trick. I've never been one to follow meal conventions, having casserole for breakfast or pancakes for dinner whenever the mood or laziness strikes.
We saw The Lion, The Witch, and the Wardrobe at the Evergreen Playhouse in Centralia. It had a/c! My niece was Mr. Tumnus, and did her role very well and had a good time. It was hot and we wanted to get on the road pretty quickly so we didn't hang around long after the show. We missed seeing her again after the show, but I'm sure we weren't missed. I only needed to turn on the heater for a little while on the way home, as the traffic north of Olympia was pretty miserable. A little before Tacoma things opened up, and I averaged 60mph the rest of the drive. I'd parked in Olympia, and rode with Dad the rest of the way. We had dinner in Olympia, then went our separate ways.
Too hot to do much around my house. Turned on the fans, watched The Santa Clause. Mindless, but it had snow. That is actually why I chose it. North Pole, snow, yeah baby, bring it on. I discovered my fridge door was open a crack, so everything on on the bottom shelf will get tossed. The produce felt nicely cool, but everything else felt like it was barely cooler than the house. So, no breakfast this morning as I didn't want to tempt the lamb or rice in the fridge. It is likely okay, but I'm not liking the idea of testing it.
I'm now waiting to hear back on a new works submission. I did a rewrite on a piece, and now I'm waiting. It was one I've had a couple people express an interest in producing, and I'd done a major rewrite so it was not back in the shape I'd of liked. I kind of doubt it will be selected, but merely submitting it last week was a big move forward. Now, back to some of the other writing projects before I get involved in another show.
Water, lamb, rice. I made it this far, and the challenge of coming up with something that you have not had the last couple days is kind of interesting. A week from Wednesday when I start trying other foods to see what doesn't need to be cut out of my diet will be my little version of entering the promised land. Now I am already feeling better physically, which given the hot weather we've had around here of late is significant.
It was in the mid 90's and 100's in our area this weekend, and barely cooler now. That reminds me of likely my biggest diet sin outside the lunch. I've had a little Gatorade this weekend. If the weather keeps up this way, I'll continue that little variance, and I won't reset the two week calendar for detox'ing my system. Better than heat stroke, which I had as a twelve or thirteen year old, and again in basic training at 26.
Of course, Friday when I went to ride into work I discovered my motorcycle had a flat tire. When it is sunny, it pours. Two weeks since I got the damn thing back on the road. Later in the week I'm going to go check out a used BMW. After two crashes, the ABS really appeals, as well as a bike that is better suited for all year use. So, instead of riding around in stifling heat, I was driving around. At sustained speeds between 40 and 60 the Vanagon seems to do fine. With higher rpm's or lower speeds a little extra is needed to cool the engine, so on comes the heater. Blechhh.
Saturday I went to the open house for some friends, Sally and Vince who founded Exchange Theatre. Vince who was artistic director wrote one of my letters of recommendation for ETI. Before I left Stuart who directed me in Exchange Theatre's production of The Cherry Orchard and wrote one of my other letters showed up. That was nice, then I left for Horseshoe Lake Count Park, in Kitsap County for my 30th high school reunion. I did not get off to an auspicious start.
I got a couple cheap styrofoam coolers, which I filled with ice and soft drinks to take along. Since I was driving with the windows open, I put a case of water bottles in each cooler. (I carried lots of water around for the hot rehearsals and performances of our show.) The stacking made the coolers top heavy and they rolled forward as I left the parking lot. Into another parking lot. It is amazing how much ice will melt in a minute at over 90 degrees. I reoriented the wounded coolers, and of course they fell over sideways this time. Now, one cooler was totaled, the other cracked half way down. By that time I had one cooler full of drinks and ice. Within a few blocks of the store I'd melted half of the three bags of ice.
About 45 minutes later when I got to the park the drinks were cool. I grabbed a couple and started looking for my old classmates. I didn't see anyone I know, nor any signs for "Class of '76" or "SKHS", so I headed over to my Dad's. I didn't have a phone to call the one person I'm still in contact with, or to let my Dad know I would be early. But, when I got home the next day my phone was fully charged.
I forgot their new house doesn't have a/c, and suggested we go to a movie for the air conditioning. So, we saw the new installment of Pirates of the Caribbean. It was fun, but if you haven't seen the first one don't bother. You won't have a clue. Afterwards we stopped by the store so I could get some lamb for my dinner and breakfast.
The following morning I cooked a couple lamb chops for Dad for breakfast too. He wanted to try it for breakfast, though he thought it weird. After breakfast he thought it a wonderful idea. He is usually the breakfast chef for the household, and now has a new trick. I've never been one to follow meal conventions, having casserole for breakfast or pancakes for dinner whenever the mood or laziness strikes.
We saw The Lion, The Witch, and the Wardrobe at the Evergreen Playhouse in Centralia. It had a/c! My niece was Mr. Tumnus, and did her role very well and had a good time. It was hot and we wanted to get on the road pretty quickly so we didn't hang around long after the show. We missed seeing her again after the show, but I'm sure we weren't missed. I only needed to turn on the heater for a little while on the way home, as the traffic north of Olympia was pretty miserable. A little before Tacoma things opened up, and I averaged 60mph the rest of the drive. I'd parked in Olympia, and rode with Dad the rest of the way. We had dinner in Olympia, then went our separate ways.
Too hot to do much around my house. Turned on the fans, watched The Santa Clause. Mindless, but it had snow. That is actually why I chose it. North Pole, snow, yeah baby, bring it on. I discovered my fridge door was open a crack, so everything on on the bottom shelf will get tossed. The produce felt nicely cool, but everything else felt like it was barely cooler than the house. So, no breakfast this morning as I didn't want to tempt the lamb or rice in the fridge. It is likely okay, but I'm not liking the idea of testing it.
I'm now waiting to hear back on a new works submission. I did a rewrite on a piece, and now I'm waiting. It was one I've had a couple people express an interest in producing, and I'd done a major rewrite so it was not back in the shape I'd of liked. I kind of doubt it will be selected, but merely submitting it last week was a big move forward. Now, back to some of the other writing projects before I get involved in another show.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home