Curses!
On Wednesday I had great rehearsal with my scene partner, using the space reserved for ETI at Antioch University in Seattle. Antioch provides the official certificate and the umbrella under which limited financial aid is available. A room is available for us Monday, Wednesday, and Thursday evenings, one with no adjacent classes scheduled for that evening, so our volume won't distract other classes. There are other privileges, such as use of their library and the UW libraries, though with my schedule and east side residence and job locations I haven't been able to make use of that.
We worked hard for a bit over an hour and a half instead of the 2-3 hours we'd reserved, as my scene partner had to be home a little earlier than we expected. The more directed work in the shorter time ended up being more effective, at least this time around. I headed home had a nice meal, which doesn't mean much these days. Only that I had time to bake a frozen entre, instead of microwaving it. I'm looking forward to actually cooking again.
I got out some apple wine I made several years ago, and this one aged very nicely. Granny smith apples make a better wine in the long run than do gravensteins, which make a very nice wine about a year out and tend to cloud or throw sediment which slightly degrades the flavor after four years or so.
I had two glasses of wine with my dinner. No problem, even though I'd forgotten the homemade wines tend to be a touch stronger, between 14 and 17%, like a chardonnay. I was watching something on TV which was actually engaging, and it wasn't until after my second glass of wine with dinner, I realized I'd already had two glasses. Despite my size, that is enough to leave me feeling ooky the next day. Not nearly enough for a hangover. Given my family's history I'm usually glad to have a low threshold. My (naturopathic) chiropractor noticed I was still out of whack Thursday evening -- that appointment helped.
Back at home on Thursday I was feeling better, and a haircut usually makes me feel even better. So, as I mentioned in the last post I put the guard on the clippers, which are very quiet now that I found a nice light oil for them. I was just about done. My head was trimmed to 3/8", my beard to 1/4", and the tapers finished. This is the shortest length that doesn't look in between bald and intentionally short, and what I'd cut it to about a week or two before this quarter's ETI recital goes up. My head looked slightly fuzzy so I quickly put the 3/8" guard back on to clean it up, and starting running it up and over. A surprisingly smooth feeling for a cut or two. As I was thinking about it I tipped my head forward a bit, and that is when I realized the guard had parted ways with the clippers.
How about that? A nice reverse mohawk. There was a moment of incredulousness, where you're slightly stunned. No shock as I like shaving my head when the mood or sultry weather hits. It was that "Oh shit!" moment you had when breaking something belonging to your parents or other grown up as a kid. Nothing you can do will undo it. It seemed like a long time, but in reality it was only a few seconds. Nothing to do but continue. Shaving my head felt a little like fessing up to breaking something as a kid. It really reminds me of when we had a sidewalk poured when I was 5, plus or minus a year. It was so exciting, and I couldn't wait to put my handprints in it.
The parents weren't so excited when I asked if they'd help me write the date or some other bit of archival information. It was too late to retrowel the concrete, but the contractor was still there, and he simply sprayed the finished layer off. I was upset my art was gone, but I thought it looked cool. That was around 1962, and it was the first exposed aggregate sidewalk I remembered seeing. They became quite popular in the next fifteen years. Unlike the sidewalk adventure, my hair will grow back.
Done with the elaboration, now for the follow-up. My peers in ETI really liked it, and Lori thought it gave me more of a real warrior look. I've seen a couple productions of The Scottish Play, and Mac was played as a wimp in both. I thought that was wrong five or six years ago as a novice actor and watcher of Shakespeare, and feel more strongly about it now. Read the beginning of the play, Act I, Scene II. It is reported how Mac charged into the midst of the enemy, hacked a path straight to the enemy commander and cut him down. Makes Rambo sound like a pussy. This man ain't a wimp. He's simply well aware of slaughter and it's consequences. And remember, Lady M who spurs him, while ruthless in her own right is the one who goes mad over it. My read of the play is that his initial caution is to protect her, because once he is on the path nothing will dissuade him. I have to read the rest of it again, as I've a feeling he delights in his fatal defeat at MacDuff's hand. It is in battle where he excels and lives, and can find moments with no ghosts or spirits to torment him. We aren't doing that part of the play, but I want to read through that part of it again just the same.
Lori is in accord with my take on Mac (and she is great as Lady M). So, Mac will be bald, though maybe with a beard or mustache. Serendipity prevailed this time. That's lucky.
Still, I'll take Rachel's suggestion to heart and honor the curse in my blogs, at least while I'm working on the play, which I do in theaters anyway. For those not familiar with it, you aren't supposed to say the name of the play or two main characters in theater unless you're an actor saying it as written in a performance or rehearsal, hence it is referred "The Scottish Play", "Mac", and "Lady M." There are legends of terrible tragedies connected with this play, though details are hard to come by. I've heard another suggestion. This is one of the shortest (maybe the shortest?) of Shakespeare plays, and it's said it can be produced more cheaply than others. Thus, failing companies have often produced it. Not so dramatic as death and injury on stage. So, I kind of buy the second, but honor the first interpretation because it is more fun. And there are people who take the curse seriously, and I'd rather extend my respect to them. It's not particularly daring to say it in a theater, but it says something about you if you are more interested in showing your lack of suspicion than being generous. Besides, I have my hair to think about now.
We worked hard for a bit over an hour and a half instead of the 2-3 hours we'd reserved, as my scene partner had to be home a little earlier than we expected. The more directed work in the shorter time ended up being more effective, at least this time around. I headed home had a nice meal, which doesn't mean much these days. Only that I had time to bake a frozen entre, instead of microwaving it. I'm looking forward to actually cooking again.
I got out some apple wine I made several years ago, and this one aged very nicely. Granny smith apples make a better wine in the long run than do gravensteins, which make a very nice wine about a year out and tend to cloud or throw sediment which slightly degrades the flavor after four years or so.
I had two glasses of wine with my dinner. No problem, even though I'd forgotten the homemade wines tend to be a touch stronger, between 14 and 17%, like a chardonnay. I was watching something on TV which was actually engaging, and it wasn't until after my second glass of wine with dinner, I realized I'd already had two glasses. Despite my size, that is enough to leave me feeling ooky the next day. Not nearly enough for a hangover. Given my family's history I'm usually glad to have a low threshold. My (naturopathic) chiropractor noticed I was still out of whack Thursday evening -- that appointment helped.
Back at home on Thursday I was feeling better, and a haircut usually makes me feel even better. So, as I mentioned in the last post I put the guard on the clippers, which are very quiet now that I found a nice light oil for them. I was just about done. My head was trimmed to 3/8", my beard to 1/4", and the tapers finished. This is the shortest length that doesn't look in between bald and intentionally short, and what I'd cut it to about a week or two before this quarter's ETI recital goes up. My head looked slightly fuzzy so I quickly put the 3/8" guard back on to clean it up, and starting running it up and over. A surprisingly smooth feeling for a cut or two. As I was thinking about it I tipped my head forward a bit, and that is when I realized the guard had parted ways with the clippers.
How about that? A nice reverse mohawk. There was a moment of incredulousness, where you're slightly stunned. No shock as I like shaving my head when the mood or sultry weather hits. It was that "Oh shit!" moment you had when breaking something belonging to your parents or other grown up as a kid. Nothing you can do will undo it. It seemed like a long time, but in reality it was only a few seconds. Nothing to do but continue. Shaving my head felt a little like fessing up to breaking something as a kid. It really reminds me of when we had a sidewalk poured when I was 5, plus or minus a year. It was so exciting, and I couldn't wait to put my handprints in it.
The parents weren't so excited when I asked if they'd help me write the date or some other bit of archival information. It was too late to retrowel the concrete, but the contractor was still there, and he simply sprayed the finished layer off. I was upset my art was gone, but I thought it looked cool. That was around 1962, and it was the first exposed aggregate sidewalk I remembered seeing. They became quite popular in the next fifteen years. Unlike the sidewalk adventure, my hair will grow back.
Done with the elaboration, now for the follow-up. My peers in ETI really liked it, and Lori thought it gave me more of a real warrior look. I've seen a couple productions of The Scottish Play, and Mac was played as a wimp in both. I thought that was wrong five or six years ago as a novice actor and watcher of Shakespeare, and feel more strongly about it now. Read the beginning of the play, Act I, Scene II. It is reported how Mac charged into the midst of the enemy, hacked a path straight to the enemy commander and cut him down. Makes Rambo sound like a pussy. This man ain't a wimp. He's simply well aware of slaughter and it's consequences. And remember, Lady M who spurs him, while ruthless in her own right is the one who goes mad over it. My read of the play is that his initial caution is to protect her, because once he is on the path nothing will dissuade him. I have to read the rest of it again, as I've a feeling he delights in his fatal defeat at MacDuff's hand. It is in battle where he excels and lives, and can find moments with no ghosts or spirits to torment him. We aren't doing that part of the play, but I want to read through that part of it again just the same.
Lori is in accord with my take on Mac (and she is great as Lady M). So, Mac will be bald, though maybe with a beard or mustache. Serendipity prevailed this time. That's lucky.
Still, I'll take Rachel's suggestion to heart and honor the curse in my blogs, at least while I'm working on the play, which I do in theaters anyway. For those not familiar with it, you aren't supposed to say the name of the play or two main characters in theater unless you're an actor saying it as written in a performance or rehearsal, hence it is referred "The Scottish Play", "Mac", and "Lady M." There are legends of terrible tragedies connected with this play, though details are hard to come by. I've heard another suggestion. This is one of the shortest (maybe the shortest?) of Shakespeare plays, and it's said it can be produced more cheaply than others. Thus, failing companies have often produced it. Not so dramatic as death and injury on stage. So, I kind of buy the second, but honor the first interpretation because it is more fun. And there are people who take the curse seriously, and I'd rather extend my respect to them. It's not particularly daring to say it in a theater, but it says something about you if you are more interested in showing your lack of suspicion than being generous. Besides, I have my hair to think about now.
0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home