Funny Lame
Slate has a funny article about Scooter Libby's web site to raise funds for his legal defense. I'm not sure which is funnier, the article or Scooter's web site. Who's buying this stuff? Pretty soon the GOP will have tapped out all the funds stupid people have to give.
Libby's site has a hard time, because it simultaneously is trying to argue that a) he was likely to forget the Plame episodes and b) he was hypercompetent. Are we supposed to believe Ted Olson when he bemoans how hard it is to remember details? Or do we believe World Bank President and Former Deputy Defense
Secretary Paul Wolfowitz when he describes Libby as "a kind of perfectionist"?
Or Matalin when she describes him as "meticulous"?

2 Comments:
I saw Scooter's site last week. On Saturday I went to Top Foods to buy some groceries and they had this end cap display of a breakfast cereal called "Scooters". I joked to Shawn that his defense fund was really ratcheting up the marketing. Shawn reminded me of the Muppet character of the same name (not pictured on the cereal box) and I felt bad for Kermit's nephew having to be associated with that.
The Slate comments are amusing. Isn't that the trouble we have with so many politicians these days? When they are caught in scandal, they tend to deny the issue with "I can't remember". Reagan did it over Iran-Contra, yet his defenders also rave about his brilliant intellect. Bill Clinton did it on the stand when questioned about Lewinsky. Kindasleazy Rice does it all of the time with her line "No one could have predicted" (or foreseen, etc) yet she read reports that did just that...she just didn't remember the reports..and she's allegedly one of the great intellects of the administration. Bush himself used the same line when referring to Katrina despite government reports to the contrary for years (Hell, National Geographic had a report on that topic in 2004).
Sadly, there are too many more examples than I have the space to write or you have the patience to read.
Maybe, just maybe the lie got too big and outrageous too soon. While historically we've seen that utterly amoral liars can easily dupe populations, it comes out.
It is starting too look like maybe the neocons peaked too soon and the average american they have so abused is building up momentum for a backlash, before all power is handed over to bureaucrats and corporations. I pray it is so, and of tsunami proportions.
Post a Comment
<< Home