The Waters Clear A Bit
Last Thursday I dashed out of the theatre as soon as my last bit was done, skipping the curtain call so I could get to Freehold for the end of year scenes for the Meisner Progression. In particular I wanted to see my friend Greg's scene. We chatted last Summer about the program and I told him the good, the bad, and the ugly from my perspective, which was a pretty strong endorsement of the program. (We're still friends too!)
I was struck by several things, including a personal epiphany of sorts regarding the Ensemble Training Intensive (ETI). I wrote a long bit last Friday, which I didn't have time to proof over the weekend, so I thought I'd start fresh with a more gelled and, I hope, concise exploration.
I saw the last two scenes, and Greg was in the last. The first one I saw, it took the actors a minute or so to connect, then bam, it was a very intense, engaging, and deep piece. Greg started intense, connected, and deep, and they stayed there. I was stunned, and made a compliment which was sincere, and not something I can post here. A strange thing. As we were waiting for the next to last scene (the first scene for me), I found myself reliving some of the intense emotional upheaval I experienced one year ago.
While watching this amazing work I was struck, realizing this was what we did only 364 days before. It was during the scenes and on my ride home afterwards I had and chewed on an epiphany. I finally decided a month ago I wanted to do the ETI program because I crave more ensemble work and want to move forward in the craft. Wasn't quite sure why, except I expect to enjoy the experience and what it will bring me, and figure I need some classical training.
I have the training for the deeply connected work I saw last Thursday, and strive to bring more of it into my work with each production. A small part of the Meisner training helped us bring that to the audience. The voice and physical training offered in ETI will help to bring that beautifully connected work to the audience much more. In looking back on nearly every show I've seen or been in, I've found that there are many actors who are very strong in one aspect or the other, and the actors who stand out are those with a balance. The actor who is deeply connected and can bring that experience to the back row of the house as well as the front row.
I still feel I have a long way to go in bringing the Meisner training to my work. I'm not running down my progress. Heck, I find it exciting to experience the growth, and am jazzed knowing how much more I can do with further practice. It brings me all the way back to my original concern this Spring and Winter when I was debating whether to apply for ETI. If I wait until I'm satisfied with my listening and connection skills to pursue classical training I will likely have been dead and cold for quite a while. The doubt was that left/right brain contention which creeps into every corner of my being. Bottom line, pursuing classical training and skills will not stop my striving along more methody lines, and if anything it will help the struggle to bring that connection and truth into my work.
For some roles, a costume piece or shoes help me find the character, others animal work or daydreaming and imagery. It's never the same. The old inside out, vs inside out debate. Hey whatever works today is what I prefer. The more tools the better, and thus far none of them have been exclusive. I feel every class or production has built and expanded on what I've done so far.
Writing it down misses something. The clarity. The sudden thunderclap realization. Now is the time to start trying for ETI, and if I get in great, if not prepare for the next time it is offered or find similar training elsewhere. The thunderclap was a final distillation of two questions which I'd agonized over and had already decided on, but hadn't really focused on the why. Yes, I am ready to do this because it won't cause me to lose or stunt the ongoing growth from previous training and experience. And I know what it is I expect out of the training.
The clarity of purpose and desire has made a difference. I'm working on a couple monologue pieces for the audition, not my typical put things off to the last minute. Well shit, I feel like it is already the last hour though. Will it be enough? We'll see...
I was struck by several things, including a personal epiphany of sorts regarding the Ensemble Training Intensive (ETI). I wrote a long bit last Friday, which I didn't have time to proof over the weekend, so I thought I'd start fresh with a more gelled and, I hope, concise exploration.
I saw the last two scenes, and Greg was in the last. The first one I saw, it took the actors a minute or so to connect, then bam, it was a very intense, engaging, and deep piece. Greg started intense, connected, and deep, and they stayed there. I was stunned, and made a compliment which was sincere, and not something I can post here. A strange thing. As we were waiting for the next to last scene (the first scene for me), I found myself reliving some of the intense emotional upheaval I experienced one year ago.
While watching this amazing work I was struck, realizing this was what we did only 364 days before. It was during the scenes and on my ride home afterwards I had and chewed on an epiphany. I finally decided a month ago I wanted to do the ETI program because I crave more ensemble work and want to move forward in the craft. Wasn't quite sure why, except I expect to enjoy the experience and what it will bring me, and figure I need some classical training.
I have the training for the deeply connected work I saw last Thursday, and strive to bring more of it into my work with each production. A small part of the Meisner training helped us bring that to the audience. The voice and physical training offered in ETI will help to bring that beautifully connected work to the audience much more. In looking back on nearly every show I've seen or been in, I've found that there are many actors who are very strong in one aspect or the other, and the actors who stand out are those with a balance. The actor who is deeply connected and can bring that experience to the back row of the house as well as the front row.
I still feel I have a long way to go in bringing the Meisner training to my work. I'm not running down my progress. Heck, I find it exciting to experience the growth, and am jazzed knowing how much more I can do with further practice. It brings me all the way back to my original concern this Spring and Winter when I was debating whether to apply for ETI. If I wait until I'm satisfied with my listening and connection skills to pursue classical training I will likely have been dead and cold for quite a while. The doubt was that left/right brain contention which creeps into every corner of my being. Bottom line, pursuing classical training and skills will not stop my striving along more methody lines, and if anything it will help the struggle to bring that connection and truth into my work.
For some roles, a costume piece or shoes help me find the character, others animal work or daydreaming and imagery. It's never the same. The old inside out, vs inside out debate. Hey whatever works today is what I prefer. The more tools the better, and thus far none of them have been exclusive. I feel every class or production has built and expanded on what I've done so far.
Writing it down misses something. The clarity. The sudden thunderclap realization. Now is the time to start trying for ETI, and if I get in great, if not prepare for the next time it is offered or find similar training elsewhere. The thunderclap was a final distillation of two questions which I'd agonized over and had already decided on, but hadn't really focused on the why. Yes, I am ready to do this because it won't cause me to lose or stunt the ongoing growth from previous training and experience. And I know what it is I expect out of the training.
The clarity of purpose and desire has made a difference. I'm working on a couple monologue pieces for the audition, not my typical put things off to the last minute. Well shit, I feel like it is already the last hour though. Will it be enough? We'll see...
0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home