Acting Up

My musings, thoughts, rants, and discoveries. - Scott Maddock

Back to Blogging


I haven't blogged here since 2012. Why am I making a stab at it again?

I realized two things about social media I wanted to get away from. First was that I was often using it as a journal, which is boring and maybe TMI for those platforms. Secondly I was using it too much for my taste, so that I felt like a tool for marketers rather than using social media as a tool for my ends.




Wednesday, July 13, 2005

Things That Go Bump In the Night

It was at once harder and more fun than I thought it would be. It was like a review of my class last year, working with Paula who in addition to directing and lots of experience, has done Meisner and the Instrument Training Intensive at Freehold. I've been reviewing my notes in order, getting farther for each show. This was sort of a needed jump ahead. It was quite fun and worthy because of that. I'd done some of the work, and my focus was improved there, and was reminded of other aspects I'd I'd not yet reviewed for prep. Getting together before I was ready wasn't all bad. I'll have a much richer base from which to continue preparing.

It is very strange for me. I've never really had to prepare a monologue for an audition. I've gone to auditions which weren't looking for prepared monologues, or been cast without an audition. I've a couple audition pieces I've learned, and used them in different auditions where monologues were optional. I've not tried to prepare an audition piece since completing Meisner. I was just getting started when I broke my leg, and everything was on hold for a bit, then straight into The Cherry Orchard. Now here I am in an audition with the highest stakes yet preparing monologues. It's all so exciting, I feel like heaving or sleeping.

I'm working to get something ready. I'm terrible, and much less so now thanks to Paula. I'm thinking it may be great practice for the next ETI (Ensemble Training Intensive) audition. Paula doesn't think I'm that sucky, so here's to hoping it's simply actor anxiety.

I was nervous, so I didn't eat before meeting Paula at 8 PM. Didn't bring anything to snack on either. The last fifteen minutes I just wanted to stop and go get food. My stomache was churning and knocking like my car in high school. Luckily Paula wouldn't let me stop, and I think that was we did the most important work of the evening. I thanked her profusely for not throwing my motorcycle boots at me.

Tonight is Steve's birthday, so I'll be seeing he and Paula tonight at the Elysian for dinner shortly. Lately I've been seeing friends in batches. Did a couple things with Beth about a month ago, the last couple weeks I've been to several shows with Rachel, and this week I'll be seeing Steve and Paula a lot. After the audition on Sunday I'll be heading to their wedding shower. Paula and I might get together for another Scott Fright Night this week. Now that we've worked once, it won't be quite so scary. The added apprehension of working like that for a close friend is still there. And all of the above (except Steve who had another gig) made it out for my last show.

So, I may not be sanguine about my chances of getting into ETI. Perhaps that is the best attitude for me, regardless. It tells me I want to get in the program, and won't let me stop preparing. I'm feeling damn pretty lucky all the same. I can't remember what life was like without a big circle of friends. Or rather, I don't want to remember. (Unless, of course, it will help with a role.)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home