Mmmonday!
A funny thing happened on the way to the boards. The funnest bit for me is the one that gets me the most nervy before I go out. Is it because it is the first bit where I've lines? Is it because it is the one where I have the most distinctly different character, with a voice placement I've never tried before this? Or is it because he is a nervous, fearful character? Something else? I'm just glad I get the nerves, as they are something I can grab onto as I prep, and falls away from consciousness like all the other prep when you first step on the boards.
I think we outnumbered the audience on Sunday, but it was still a good show. Sure we like bigger audiences, but with the cast and crew we have it was still a good show. Afterwards I went to see the Akropolis restaging of Dream of a Ridiculous Man at Seattle Center which Rachel mentioned. Rather, I should say I went to video the show, using my roommates mini dv camera. Many times better than my ancient VHS camera which I used for the last staging. Lucky for me, I ran out of tape five or ten minutes before the end. I was amazed and enjoying the show, and once I wasn't splitting my attention between the performance and trying to capture the essence in the best way, I experienced the essence more directly. Happily they had another camera rolling, so the whole show was captured. This week, I'll be loading my digital copy to the computer, then trading tapes so I can get both versions on dvd.
After the show I called my Dad, for our weekly chat and totally forgot it was Father's Day. "Thank you sir! May I have another!" Atonement will be a bitch. :) While we were chatting I saw the Lavy's and Holly (who did a wonderful, fun, ethereal piece in the Freehold Studio Series this year) walking my way. So, I wrapped up the chat with Dad to greet them and head home. It turns out they parked on the street right behind my motorcycle. Then...
They couldn't find their keys. Not a fun situation after an exhausting show, but it ended up being very nice for me. We sat on the little bulkhead outside Seattle Children's Theatre (SCT), and chatted while Joseph walked back to the space to search for the keys and after he returned and Holly headed home. A beautiful day edging towards sunset, and two to four actors sitting by the sidewalk, myself in bright yellow riding gear. Ultimately their babysitter drove out with Jennifer's set of keys. A little conversation with friends as Sunday drew to a close, the sun setting in front of us, the Space Needle and SCT behind us. I've mentioned before, my favorite conclusion to a weekend is sitting around with friends. After a busy weekend in and watching shows, pure gravy. And a little added bonus. Catherine rode out with the babysitter, so I got to say "Hi." Brief flash of recognition, and she was back in her five year old world -- a big and wondrous place. Talking to parents, while a happy child demands attention from one then the other, staying mostly out of sight but adding an energy of her own to the group.
Tonight I'll be meeting Gregory for dinner to talk about his experience in ETI and going on to the MFA program he is about to start. We'd originally planned to get together yesterday, but we were both kind of beat and put it off. Another bit of serendipity as I was able to hang for a bit with the Lavy's. That was quite a series of coincidences. Gregory and I both had tonight available, I just happened to be parked next to Jennifer and Joseph, happened to still be there as they got to the car, and then they found they mislaid the keys. All in all I'm sure I was the one most pleased by the concatenation of coincidences.
I rode home in an utterly peaceful place. Uncharacteristically, I was happy chugging along in the right lane with the Sunday drivers enjoying the early evening and the relaxed pace. I stopped at Kinko's to pick up the class pictures I'd made for the 4th graders I read to this year; more smiling kids. Smiling children are a curative. We without children get to enjoy those fleeting moments only occasionally -- parents need them to help maintain sanity, so I don't begrudge them the abundance. After all we can usually tune out, or walk away from children when they are not being little bundles of joy. Later, I relaxed with Aaron, chatting and watching some movie later than I'd expected. Got less sleep than I'd wanted, and woke more refreshed than I expected.
I'd say I'm in a pretty good place. Good. Now to start working on a couple monologue pieces for the ETI audition.
Injury Report:
Haven't had one of these in a while. The left leg which I broke in February still creates a twinge on every step -- mostly in the foot, but it is mild enough I can tune it out. I do focus on it lot by design though, concentrating on mimicking the movement and pushing of the good leg and foot to get past the slight limp.
Last week I had a bit of a start. During our Invited Dress rehearsal my knee went all wonky on the final scene change. The knee on the good leg. Shooting, sharp pain on the medial side of the knee. Didn't feel like anything was damaged, it just hurt like the dickens making me walk very tentatively so it wouldn't buckle. I was thinking it was not fair, as soon as I'm at a point where the recovery of the other leg was at a point where it wasn't the primary focus of my attention when moving. It was all better by the next night, but it is irritating to think I may be developing a trick knee. I'd call it a sneaky knee.
I had started walking all the stairs at work. My office is on the third floor, and the cafe is on the fifth floor of another building. I'm going to wait another day before resuming full stair climbing.
I continue getting strength back, and have nearly recovered full range of motion. The latter I judge by things like seeing how well I can sit on my heels or stand on tip toes and comparing to the other leg. I'm looking forward to being able to run in non-emergency situations. I can trot already, and I'm wondering of a full out run is simply a matter of giving it a go.
I think we outnumbered the audience on Sunday, but it was still a good show. Sure we like bigger audiences, but with the cast and crew we have it was still a good show. Afterwards I went to see the Akropolis restaging of Dream of a Ridiculous Man at Seattle Center which Rachel mentioned. Rather, I should say I went to video the show, using my roommates mini dv camera. Many times better than my ancient VHS camera which I used for the last staging. Lucky for me, I ran out of tape five or ten minutes before the end. I was amazed and enjoying the show, and once I wasn't splitting my attention between the performance and trying to capture the essence in the best way, I experienced the essence more directly. Happily they had another camera rolling, so the whole show was captured. This week, I'll be loading my digital copy to the computer, then trading tapes so I can get both versions on dvd.
After the show I called my Dad, for our weekly chat and totally forgot it was Father's Day. "Thank you sir! May I have another!" Atonement will be a bitch. :) While we were chatting I saw the Lavy's and Holly (who did a wonderful, fun, ethereal piece in the Freehold Studio Series this year) walking my way. So, I wrapped up the chat with Dad to greet them and head home. It turns out they parked on the street right behind my motorcycle. Then...
They couldn't find their keys. Not a fun situation after an exhausting show, but it ended up being very nice for me. We sat on the little bulkhead outside Seattle Children's Theatre (SCT), and chatted while Joseph walked back to the space to search for the keys and after he returned and Holly headed home. A beautiful day edging towards sunset, and two to four actors sitting by the sidewalk, myself in bright yellow riding gear. Ultimately their babysitter drove out with Jennifer's set of keys. A little conversation with friends as Sunday drew to a close, the sun setting in front of us, the Space Needle and SCT behind us. I've mentioned before, my favorite conclusion to a weekend is sitting around with friends. After a busy weekend in and watching shows, pure gravy. And a little added bonus. Catherine rode out with the babysitter, so I got to say "Hi." Brief flash of recognition, and she was back in her five year old world -- a big and wondrous place. Talking to parents, while a happy child demands attention from one then the other, staying mostly out of sight but adding an energy of her own to the group.
Tonight I'll be meeting Gregory for dinner to talk about his experience in ETI and going on to the MFA program he is about to start. We'd originally planned to get together yesterday, but we were both kind of beat and put it off. Another bit of serendipity as I was able to hang for a bit with the Lavy's. That was quite a series of coincidences. Gregory and I both had tonight available, I just happened to be parked next to Jennifer and Joseph, happened to still be there as they got to the car, and then they found they mislaid the keys. All in all I'm sure I was the one most pleased by the concatenation of coincidences.
I rode home in an utterly peaceful place. Uncharacteristically, I was happy chugging along in the right lane with the Sunday drivers enjoying the early evening and the relaxed pace. I stopped at Kinko's to pick up the class pictures I'd made for the 4th graders I read to this year; more smiling kids. Smiling children are a curative. We without children get to enjoy those fleeting moments only occasionally -- parents need them to help maintain sanity, so I don't begrudge them the abundance. After all we can usually tune out, or walk away from children when they are not being little bundles of joy. Later, I relaxed with Aaron, chatting and watching some movie later than I'd expected. Got less sleep than I'd wanted, and woke more refreshed than I expected.
I'd say I'm in a pretty good place. Good. Now to start working on a couple monologue pieces for the ETI audition.
Injury Report:
Haven't had one of these in a while. The left leg which I broke in February still creates a twinge on every step -- mostly in the foot, but it is mild enough I can tune it out. I do focus on it lot by design though, concentrating on mimicking the movement and pushing of the good leg and foot to get past the slight limp.
Last week I had a bit of a start. During our Invited Dress rehearsal my knee went all wonky on the final scene change. The knee on the good leg. Shooting, sharp pain on the medial side of the knee. Didn't feel like anything was damaged, it just hurt like the dickens making me walk very tentatively so it wouldn't buckle. I was thinking it was not fair, as soon as I'm at a point where the recovery of the other leg was at a point where it wasn't the primary focus of my attention when moving. It was all better by the next night, but it is irritating to think I may be developing a trick knee. I'd call it a sneaky knee.
I had started walking all the stairs at work. My office is on the third floor, and the cafe is on the fifth floor of another building. I'm going to wait another day before resuming full stair climbing.
I continue getting strength back, and have nearly recovered full range of motion. The latter I judge by things like seeing how well I can sit on my heels or stand on tip toes and comparing to the other leg. I'm looking forward to being able to run in non-emergency situations. I can trot already, and I'm wondering of a full out run is simply a matter of giving it a go.
0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home