Laughs
Except for mild food poisoning it was a great weekend. I think that is what it was, and the generic version of immodium helped. I'm still a bit dizzy, and have only had a half pint of milk for sustenance today. Yesterday, I had a small lunch after the show. We were at TS McHugh's, and I ordered the Sunday special, steak and kidney pie. I only ate a bit over half. I enjoyed it, and have never had a problem eating the full portion before, followed by some dessert. Between the changed appetite and queasiness I didn't consume a great deal. Continued the weight loss, dropping to 228 this morning. Wish I could find a way to drop weight that didn't involve a broken leg or gut. At least I didn't put the weight back on after the break. Hopefully I won't for this either.
I'll be heading home early. I'm just waiting for some database queries to finish, then I'll be on my way. Hopefully I'll get a enough sleep to speed along the recovery, so I don't miss class tonight.
I saw in the Sunday morning paper a write up about some Broadway shows. I remember hearing Hank Azaria was in Spamelot several weeks ago. He caught my attention in America's Sweethearts and Godzilla where he developed wonderful characters. If you want to see something hysterical and disturbing look at the deleted scenes on the dvd for America's Sweethearts. It adds to the character, but it is not something we are comfortable with in a major feature for obvious reasons. Then I found out he is the voice over artist for some of the best characters in The Simpsons.
Yesterday in the paper I saw Tim Curry is playing King Arthur in Spamelot. I, like most of my generation loved Monty Python and the Holy Grail, of which this is a musical adaptation. It was been getting great reviews and I really like Tim Curry. He's frequently cast as over the top characters, and has a knack for picking pretty bad movies. Rocky Horror, which I still enjoy being a good example. His characters are generally big and brash in a similar way, but there is a difference in them which I enjoy and appreciate. I think he was the only redeeming part of McHale's Navy, and he and Joe Pantoliano were the guys who made Congo nearly bearable. If I get to New York I'm going to look for that show. Then more of the drama and dark comedy which I prefer.
The show we saw yesterday was The Mystery of Irma Vep: A Penny Dreadful. It was indeed wonderfully dreadful. We had a tremendous time. No special message, just werewolves, vampires, and ancient Egyptian mummies. A thoroughly delightful romp. Two actors playing all the characters, with flawless and complex blocking. When one character turns to a werewolf and is sticking one hand then the other out of sight to return with the claws, and peaking through a door to come out with the wolf head was hysterical. Fun trumps special effects. I didn't expect to have so much fun, even after several actors (one a professor who had instructed one of the actors in California) told me it was a very fun show. If you're local treat yourself to a good laugh at the Intiman.
I'll be heading home early. I'm just waiting for some database queries to finish, then I'll be on my way. Hopefully I'll get a enough sleep to speed along the recovery, so I don't miss class tonight.
I saw in the Sunday morning paper a write up about some Broadway shows. I remember hearing Hank Azaria was in Spamelot several weeks ago. He caught my attention in America's Sweethearts and Godzilla where he developed wonderful characters. If you want to see something hysterical and disturbing look at the deleted scenes on the dvd for America's Sweethearts. It adds to the character, but it is not something we are comfortable with in a major feature for obvious reasons. Then I found out he is the voice over artist for some of the best characters in The Simpsons.
Yesterday in the paper I saw Tim Curry is playing King Arthur in Spamelot. I, like most of my generation loved Monty Python and the Holy Grail, of which this is a musical adaptation. It was been getting great reviews and I really like Tim Curry. He's frequently cast as over the top characters, and has a knack for picking pretty bad movies. Rocky Horror, which I still enjoy being a good example. His characters are generally big and brash in a similar way, but there is a difference in them which I enjoy and appreciate. I think he was the only redeeming part of McHale's Navy, and he and Joe Pantoliano were the guys who made Congo nearly bearable. If I get to New York I'm going to look for that show. Then more of the drama and dark comedy which I prefer.
The show we saw yesterday was The Mystery of Irma Vep: A Penny Dreadful. It was indeed wonderfully dreadful. We had a tremendous time. No special message, just werewolves, vampires, and ancient Egyptian mummies. A thoroughly delightful romp. Two actors playing all the characters, with flawless and complex blocking. When one character turns to a werewolf and is sticking one hand then the other out of sight to return with the claws, and peaking through a door to come out with the wolf head was hysterical. Fun trumps special effects. I didn't expect to have so much fun, even after several actors (one a professor who had instructed one of the actors in California) told me it was a very fun show. If you're local treat yourself to a good laugh at the Intiman.
3 Comments:
Note about Spamalot, I checked when we got into town and it is basically sold out through the end of September. I could have gotten a couple of seats, but I would have had to buy a third seat in order to do so and at $190/seat, I wasn't willing to do that.
Youch, I'll have to save more than vacation time if I want to see that. When will it be out on dvd? Or should I say the 5th Avenue or Paramont?
No word on that as of yet. The soundtrack was just released on CD. I assume that if it cleans up at the Tony awards, it will go on tour, though probably without some or all of the members of the fine cast it currently has.
Post a Comment
<< Home