Acting Up

My musings, thoughts, rants, and discoveries. - Scott Maddock

Back to Blogging


I haven't blogged here since 2012. Why am I making a stab at it again?

I realized two things about social media I wanted to get away from. First was that I was often using it as a journal, which is boring and maybe TMI for those platforms. Secondly I was using it too much for my taste, so that I felt like a tool for marketers rather than using social media as a tool for my ends.




Friday, September 24, 2004

Daydreams

If I was in the richest 400 Americans list which recently came out I'd look at this town for sale. I'd bring up some artists I trust, feng shui experts, etc. I'd want to be sure it has good spiritual vibes. Why you ask?

My (sort of) secret dream is to set up retreat grounds for artists, with two goals. One to provide a retreat for artists to work, decompress, or even hide from the world for while. Whatever they need. The second is to provide training and workshops for community and fringe artists of all disciplines. I would ask the artists on retreat to help as staff or faculty, either concurrent or following their retreat.

We already have things like that for established and establishment artists at places like Sundance, and I want a more grass roots institutions to assist beginners and as important, people with non-artistic careers. I'm fascinated with the cross-discipline explorations and beginnings, as well as having art as the focus of your life.

Here I am, a programmer, and I'd say art has become the focus of my life, and rather than detracting from my day job I think it is enhanced. It has been fairly recent in the last five years or so. I am still close to the beginning, currently in the cross discipline, and have had art as my focus for several years. It is a journey I'd like to encourage and accommodate for others who want or need it.

As I contemplate becoming an expatriate I wonder if would will kill the dream, make it blossom, or have no real impact. In any case I don't plan on becoming one of the wealthiest 400 tycoons in the U.S., so maybe I'll think along the lines of something a bit smaller than a town. Here's hoping one of my friends makes it big, likes my idea, and remembers. Pretty slim odds, but there's lots of other possibilities, and maybe they all add up to something statistically possible.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home