Acting Up

My musings, thoughts, rants, and discoveries. - Scott Maddock

Back to Blogging


I haven't blogged here since 2012. Why am I making a stab at it again?

I realized two things about social media I wanted to get away from. First was that I was often using it as a journal, which is boring and maybe TMI for those platforms. Secondly I was using it too much for my taste, so that I felt like a tool for marketers rather than using social media as a tool for my ends.




Thursday, September 30, 2004

Beginnings

I tend to be one of the last to leave rehearsals, by habit and safety. I've worked in the production/backstage roles enough times my tech director/stage manager/master carpenter inclination to be around for last second issues and requests persists. On the safety end, I commute by motorcycle most of the time, and always suit up. I get teased about all the fuss once in a while, and usually let it go. They look so hurt when I mention the time I save using carpool lanes and finding parking spots.

The first two rehearsals for Rumors have been great. My initial cautions regarding the director's belief methody work is not suitable for comedy turned out to be baseless. Our understanding of what constitutes method styles are quite different. What he sees as methody is a common perception, which I see as behaving in and indulgent and rigid manner. No conflict there, simply different semantics. Nothing to worry over.

I like Ben's vision and thought processes in developing a production, and am looking forward to it. Last night as I was suiting up for the ride home I was chatting with Ben and his wife Gwen. They complimented me on Monday's read-through because I was so believable as a cop -- they expressed surprise my day job has no relation to law enforcement. I have a load of homework left to do, and it is nice to feel you're going in the right direction.

I also realized last night as we were exploring back story and character it has been a year and a half since I've had a substantial role outside classes. I've done all this formal training, and crew/production/board work as my informal venture into attaining a balanced education. While I have good practical knowledge and academic experience, I am acutely aware of my relative lack of practical experience on the boards.

It is another new beginning for me. I am excited and apprehensive. Those are an actor's constant companions, and heightened for me now. Kind of a coming out and trying out of the tools I have worked for. It was very meaningful to get those compliments from Ben and Gwen. I am happy I have always taken the time to sincerely compliment the actors in the shows I have worked on. Regardless of your experience and training it is good to hear. I deal well with constructive criticism, I thirst for feedback from people I respect. I have learned to deal with positive feedback, which is more difficult for me to assimilate. Another dichotomy, craving positive feedback even though it is harder to absorb.

I had another beginning of sorts this morning. I spoke to my Kiwanis club on the process of developing a new play, covering everything from how we all met, to the plot line, to production nightmares. I was nervous about speaking, and we had a good crowd. A new thing for me. People enjoyed and complimented my presentation. It was by no means an earth stopper, nor anywhere near as good as the speakers I invited. It wasn't bad either, so I didn't feel like I let down the folks who invited me to speak. I prepped too much. When teaching and such I discovered I needed a detailed outline, with lots of text to choose from. This was different.

I was sharing my passion this morning, on a topic I was surprised to find I am actually quite knowledgeable. (Closer to being a professional than I thought?) I would have served myself better with a shorter list of bullets. I was mentally editing and rewriting as I went along, and working the audience for chuckles or stops when I sensed they were preparing to wander. I quickly discovered I could talk extemporaneously, which allowed me to share my passion and interest more effectively. The extra detail I'd prepared made it difficult to follow the outline I had in mind, hobbling me. If I was to do this again I would reorganize slightly, and trust myself to speak for the desired about of time on each bullet without written guidance. I was able to do speak on the fly this morning about half the time, and those were the times I best held the interest of the audience.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home