A broken goal to be?
As I get ready to jump back into the real world, lots of classes, rehearsals, and such I am thinking of a couple things. First, I need to tighten my writing here. I consider it my personal journal, even though it is available to the world. I found there are a few more readers than I thought. I should be kinder to them. Keep it shorter and more focused, that's the ticket. I'll make it my goal starting today, though maybe I'll flip-flop by tomorrow.
My second thought is I have done less with my writing than I did when I was so busy. Lesson learned: I need to be more disciplined when I have leisure, or forget the leisure so I can get more things which are dear to me done. I'd like some middle ground, but I may not be wired for it. Yet.
Last night I went to another birthday party, Cathleen O'Malley's 25th. I almost missed it because I couldn't find the paper invite which she told us was in the mail, but luckily she picked up my voice mail and told me where to go. A wonderful time in a wonderful little place that serves as a photography studio and art gallery by day, and community living room by night. What a great place it would be for putting up working scenes, which is one of the things they actually do.
Again, I met new people, and made a conscious and semi-successful attempt to stay away from venting on our fatherland. Cathleen was in the Meisner Progression, which she called the Meisner Intensive when introducing people. I liked that, because I usually describe it the same way. The group was a nice mix, including nearly half the Meisner alumni, which lent the whole group a feeling of pent up energy. Everybody is getting ready to start new projects and classes, and it energized me hearing about it.
In addition to the Meisnerites there was an added surprise for me. John Hazelwood, an MFA grad from University of Washington was there. The first two or three acting classes I took at BCC five years ago were taught by John, a person I like and respect to this day. He gave me a very nice and sincere compliment on the work I did in the Meisner performance July 1st. It was a wonderful surprise to find he was there. A full circle feeling.
The last time I saw John was several days before Meisner started, a touch over a year ago. He was working at the Baseball Institute in Seattle, and is still there. He was busy with that, Jet City Improve and several projects he was helping to produce. He is rehearsing for Proof, with Seattle Public Theatre. I heard it was going up, and now I'm looking forward to seeing it even more. Especially since John has been looking forward to getting back on the boards for more traditional shows since we chatted last year.
As I was leaving to head home I leap-frogged with Steve, Paula, and Gregory who'd just seen a show. They saw people they knew, popped into the birthday party for a minute, and walked up a couple doors to the Elysian. Steve was the last to go to the Elysian, walking by as I was gearing up for the motorcycle. They had been talking about how it felt a bit off when they were having sushi at Hanna's because I was missing. I told Steve it was a treat to see my best friends at to cap off a great day. A minute later I waved goodbye to the smiling group sitting in a corner booth next to where I parked. I great picture to take home with me. I can hardly wait until the 4th, when I'll be back in the swing again.
My second thought is I have done less with my writing than I did when I was so busy. Lesson learned: I need to be more disciplined when I have leisure, or forget the leisure so I can get more things which are dear to me done. I'd like some middle ground, but I may not be wired for it. Yet.
Last night I went to another birthday party, Cathleen O'Malley's 25th. I almost missed it because I couldn't find the paper invite which she told us was in the mail, but luckily she picked up my voice mail and told me where to go. A wonderful time in a wonderful little place that serves as a photography studio and art gallery by day, and community living room by night. What a great place it would be for putting up working scenes, which is one of the things they actually do.
Again, I met new people, and made a conscious and semi-successful attempt to stay away from venting on our fatherland. Cathleen was in the Meisner Progression, which she called the Meisner Intensive when introducing people. I liked that, because I usually describe it the same way. The group was a nice mix, including nearly half the Meisner alumni, which lent the whole group a feeling of pent up energy. Everybody is getting ready to start new projects and classes, and it energized me hearing about it.
In addition to the Meisnerites there was an added surprise for me. John Hazelwood, an MFA grad from University of Washington was there. The first two or three acting classes I took at BCC five years ago were taught by John, a person I like and respect to this day. He gave me a very nice and sincere compliment on the work I did in the Meisner performance July 1st. It was a wonderful surprise to find he was there. A full circle feeling.
The last time I saw John was several days before Meisner started, a touch over a year ago. He was working at the Baseball Institute in Seattle, and is still there. He was busy with that, Jet City Improve and several projects he was helping to produce. He is rehearsing for Proof, with Seattle Public Theatre. I heard it was going up, and now I'm looking forward to seeing it even more. Especially since John has been looking forward to getting back on the boards for more traditional shows since we chatted last year.
As I was leaving to head home I leap-frogged with Steve, Paula, and Gregory who'd just seen a show. They saw people they knew, popped into the birthday party for a minute, and walked up a couple doors to the Elysian. Steve was the last to go to the Elysian, walking by as I was gearing up for the motorcycle. They had been talking about how it felt a bit off when they were having sushi at Hanna's because I was missing. I told Steve it was a treat to see my best friends at to cap off a great day. A minute later I waved goodbye to the smiling group sitting in a corner booth next to where I parked. I great picture to take home with me. I can hardly wait until the 4th, when I'll be back in the swing again.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home