A Nice Visit
It was a longer visit this time, and Mom was more lucid than I've seen her in a month. We had a nice chat -- I brought a small bag of truffles again, Dilettante this time. And another birthday card, this one Happy Birthday + four weeks from us kids. I'm thinking of making a silly habit of the birthday cards.
She still couldn't remember the anniversary she and Jack picked for their unofficial wedding, so I told her I'd plan take her and Jack to Neah Bay on her birthday to scatter their ashes. The next appropriate birthday of course. She liked the silly dark humor, and likes the reminder I'll be scattering them together. Something she asked me to do a few times over the years.
It had been two weeks since I'd seen her. I had commitments every single night of last week except Friday and I was bushed. No big Friday -- just some sleep. Maybe I was still thinking of her mean streak earlier, but I think it really was over commitment on my part.
Even though it was a week late to my mind, it really was a nice time we spent together and I wasn't there terribly long though longer than most visits, not quite an hour. I recited Mother O Mine again, and she got all teary -- so she was tracking pretty well. I didn't have to repeat things too much, and when I did she reconnected with the arc of our conversation. I had a meeting downtown and I didn't want to wear her out. I'm actually looking forward to visiting this week with another Birthday card.
She still couldn't remember the anniversary she and Jack picked for their unofficial wedding, so I told her I'd plan take her and Jack to Neah Bay on her birthday to scatter their ashes. The next appropriate birthday of course. She liked the silly dark humor, and likes the reminder I'll be scattering them together. Something she asked me to do a few times over the years.
It had been two weeks since I'd seen her. I had commitments every single night of last week except Friday and I was bushed. No big Friday -- just some sleep. Maybe I was still thinking of her mean streak earlier, but I think it really was over commitment on my part.
Even though it was a week late to my mind, it really was a nice time we spent together and I wasn't there terribly long though longer than most visits, not quite an hour. I recited Mother O Mine again, and she got all teary -- so she was tracking pretty well. I didn't have to repeat things too much, and when I did she reconnected with the arc of our conversation. I had a meeting downtown and I didn't want to wear her out. I'm actually looking forward to visiting this week with another Birthday card.
0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home