Acting Up

My musings, thoughts, rants, and discoveries. - Scott Maddock

Back to Blogging


I haven't blogged here since 2012. Why am I making a stab at it again?

I realized two things about social media I wanted to get away from. First was that I was often using it as a journal, which is boring and maybe TMI for those platforms. Secondly I was using it too much for my taste, so that I felt like a tool for marketers rather than using social media as a tool for my ends.




Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Trucking

Our playwriting assignment for next week is to start with a news story about Moon Trees, referring to trees germinated from seeds taken aboard the Apollo 14 mission to the moon. The second part is to pick a genre which is outside your normal style(s) and use that. I'm going to try a modern noir. I mention it, because it sounds like a fun premise.

Another bit of yesterday's class was quite fun. We got done a little early and the instructor asked what we wanted to discuss anything, or if people just wanted to reclaim the time. I spoke up, "It's my Dad's 80th birthday today and if you'd like we could sing Happy Birthday to his Voice Mail if I get it." They said, heck we could sing to him anyway. It was an enthusiastic response so I called and did indeed get voice mail, and we sang. I for one, thought it was wonderfully fun. I'd thought about asking folks to sing earlier in class, and dismissed it not being able to think of a way to introduce the idea which wasn't out of place or contrived, then an opportunity made itself available.

This break from reading is impacting me in unexpected ways. For over ten years I've been putting on a movie when I go to sleep, which slowed and focused my mind on something innocuous which let me easily drift off, instead of going through the multi-hour struggle to sleep. Ending that seems to make my sleep more solid as I wake up earlier feeling ready to go. So far, it hasn't made getting to sleep take longer. I've even stopped listening to the news on the radio, which changes the whole nature of the commute. Skipping the paper in the morning frees up an amazing amount of time, and I get to work earlier and still have time for the stretches to reduce the sciatica adventures. To top it off coffee seems to mess with me more.

I have some work to do on the computer tonight which does not fall into the rather inclusive "reading" category. I'll be preparing "Thank You for auditioning, but..." notifications and getting the next round of tweaks on the script started. The extra time will be useful tonight as I slog through.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home