Acting Up

My musings, thoughts, rants, and discoveries. - Scott Maddock

Back to Blogging


I haven't blogged here since 2012. Why am I making a stab at it again?

I realized two things about social media I wanted to get away from. First was that I was often using it as a journal, which is boring and maybe TMI for those platforms. Secondly I was using it too much for my taste, so that I felt like a tool for marketers rather than using social media as a tool for my ends.




Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Working Terms

I've not worked on a show for a while. Partly because of the executive driven determined dive into dysfunctionality at work. I'd not felt I had the freedom to take on projects, but as I look at it honestly, I think it is mostly an excuse to support the blues. Recently I've started each morning with an effort to find something interesting and fun about going to work. It's been difficult in both remembering and execution but has been paying off. I found I just have to accept we are now working for the enrichment of elite executives, and figure out how I can best serve customers internal and external in spite of the avarice driven initiatives which impede nearly every effort to get work done.

My assessment of the leadership is a bit harsh The continued claims we are the work/life balanced and customer focused organization we were a couple years ago, has the same ring of veracity as GM claiming they build quality products. GM is still trying to live on a reputation they had in the sixties, which the MBA's have been sucking profit from for 40 years with no continued commitment to quality outside of ad campaigns. (Without a major bankruptcy type re-org I'll never buy another GM. I was screwed on three cars in a row.) Strangely, accepting this is not the ethical, and quality of product and life driven company I started at is a positive step. There are still lots of good people here, and I still get to work with (and for) them.

I was thinking about all this again this morning as I got ready for work. It occurred to me the photography I've been playing with for a needed artistic release may also help my next theatre project a bit. While doing character work, what if I take pictures from my character's perspective? That has potential for me, and as a bonus it could leave me with some photos I could use for prep work.

Now, here are a couple of photots I processed in the last week, which came from my Arizona vacation the first week of March. This one just has the hue and shading adjusted for the flower, which was actually yellow, and jumped out from the background in the same way.
0649 Spot of Bright (Red)

For this one I played with multiple partially transparent layers to achieve results similar to what I've seen for some Photoshop add-ons. It came out more appealing (to me anyway) than I expected. I think this type of processing probably works best on photos that aren't too busy.
0524 Desert Botanical Guardian (Stylized)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home