Acting Up

My musings, thoughts, rants, and discoveries. - Scott Maddock

Back to Blogging


I haven't blogged here since 2012. Why am I making a stab at it again?

I realized two things about social media I wanted to get away from. First was that I was often using it as a journal, which is boring and maybe TMI for those platforms. Secondly I was using it too much for my taste, so that I felt like a tool for marketers rather than using social media as a tool for my ends.




Sunday, April 26, 2009

Taking It Out On Art

My fury at the discussions we're having over torture have a root. Beyond the conviction that arguing it might be kind of effective is an act of profound cowardice. Rather, it is a deep feeling of impending betrayal from the country I served for a decade. We surrendered our liberties and ethics so quickly under Bush/Cheney I'm perhaps too cynical when it comes to having faith we will again find our way into honor. If the fear and hate mongers win on this what is the next step? Correcting emancipation?

To get my focus off those thoughts I turn to art, and at times it is just a way of expressing my concerns to move focus outward. This picture is of a different, less directly hurtful form of societal hubris. It still conveys the arrogant disregard of surroundings which gets to me. It is titled Civilization Comes To Spring.
1398 Civlization Comes To Spring (Last)

Right now most of the images are just things I find interesting or beautiful. The buds on the lilac in my yard have become twigs with leaflets and flower buds. This is a different rendition which was intended as an intermediate step. I liked it enough that I kept a copy.
1421 Adolescent Lilac Pink'd

I'm going to try to move away from posting multiple versions of the same photo, though I'll keep posting mulitples to flickr for a while longer. As I play around more with taking shots and processing them I'll start posting my favorite result, rather the bloggy approach I've been taking.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home