Acting Up

My musings, thoughts, rants, and discoveries. - Scott Maddock

Back to Blogging


I haven't blogged here since 2012. Why am I making a stab at it again?

I realized two things about social media I wanted to get away from. First was that I was often using it as a journal, which is boring and maybe TMI for those platforms. Secondly I was using it too much for my taste, so that I felt like a tool for marketers rather than using social media as a tool for my ends.




Thursday, April 16, 2009

Stopping to Smell the Stinkies

Quick political rant... The governor of Texas is fomenting his lunatic fringe crowds with insincere cries for succession. Too bad it's insincere. LBJ escalated us into a pointless war, sacrificing our military folks to the delight of war profiteers. Dumbya got us into a pointless war, sacrificing our military folks to the delight of war profiteers. Thus, I've joked about wanting to give Texas back to Mexico for several years.

I made two photo stops in the last two days. Tuesday after my chiropractor visit I drove by Lake Sammamish State Park and was struck by the sunset reflecting off the lake. I didn't have my good camera with me, so I used the old Nikon (Coolpix 950), which I now call my car camera. It takes decent pictures, but I can't seem to get it to stay in raw mode so I didn't capture enough information to do the kind of post processing I'd hoped. Of course it takes a long, long time to write the larger raw files to the memory card so I got to take more pictures in the fading light.

There are several ducks in the foreground, and in the water right in front of them is an otter, which looks more like a small log. It turns out there were two of them floating around, and without the raw format I didn't capture enough information to bring out any details. I had both of them in frame from a different angle, when a couple geese flew by. Totally blurred, but worth noticing. Stopping to take those pictures took me out of the normal routine of driving home. So, I was disappointed with the picture quality. Big deal, it was a beautiful time and place to be for ten minutes.

One nice side affect to adjusting the image exposure/color levels so that it more closely matched the human perception, all the homes crowded around the lake vanished (though I can't remember now if they were visible in the original).
0034 Sammamish Boat Launch

On the way to work today I was driving by a marshy area with skunk cabbage which have been catching my eye for the last week. They have that nice primary yellow, which brighten up even the grayest day, though they aren't so pleasant to the nose. Like when I stopped at the lake, I had to talk myself into making the pause. Good thing too, as it certainly put me in a better mood at the office. Like I droned yesterday, photography seems to tie in with theatre work. I notice what is around me more, which is an important skill for preparing or trying to figure out how to prepare for a role. I was going to say "taking the time to notice..." but it doesn't take any time. Just attention.

Art does seem to have a tendency to nurture itself in wonderful and synergistic ways. Learning to let that work, rather than wanting to force everything to a conclusion is my challenge.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home