Acting Up

My musings, thoughts, rants, and discoveries. - Scott Maddock

Back to Blogging


I haven't blogged here since 2012. Why am I making a stab at it again?

I realized two things about social media I wanted to get away from. First was that I was often using it as a journal, which is boring and maybe TMI for those platforms. Secondly I was using it too much for my taste, so that I felt like a tool for marketers rather than using social media as a tool for my ends.




Sunday, April 19, 2009

Sprang

I have been in the dumps all weekend. It doesn't make sense. I've actually been moderately productive around the house, saw friends Friday and Saturday, did stage combat practice and class, did photographic art, and the weather has been beautiful. Yet, my system didn't respond the way it normally does with that kind of weekend. There's some nasty aches and pains but they are old acquaintances and don't affect me like this. Then while I was getting into the car to go to class tonight I noticed the car had quite a layer of pollen. I groused, and found that I'm not the only one that allergies can put into a foul temper.

The art went well, I think. I surprised myself, and got a new lens for the camera, as the Kit's a few blocks from my office was having a clearance sale. I liked the people there, and it's a shame because the other one where I'll probably have some printing done come across as arrogant -- not like any other camera shop I've been to. We need good printing on the east side.

Here are four pictures with post-processing. I think all of them look nicer in higher resolution. If you want to check, click on one of the pictures, then the "All sizes" link just above the picture.

This one is growing on me. I thought the colors were a bit glaring at first, but now I really like it. This might be nifty on metallic paper.
1244 Burgeoning Lilac HighPassUnder (Tel Light)

This is an old car that I thought looked nice. I tried an Orton-like effect. It wasn't a good day for that color of car, I think twilight, or a background with more contrast would work better. Still, it came out better than I expected for a first try. I don't think it is a Chevy, so I'll probably have to rename it next time I see it and check.
1271 Chevy O More

Another one that is misnamed -- I think the oaks are on the other side of the street. Again, I Ortonized it a bit, then applied an artistic filter (watercolor), which came out very nice.
1266 Mighty Acorns To Be (WaterColor)

I saw this dead leaf as I was walking to the store, and quickly brushed some of the dirt and fir needles off, set it on the concrete block used as a retaining wall, and took a picture or two. Again I used an Orton type technique and some additional layers. As I was playing with the blending for the last layer, this one caught me. It is one of my favorites so far.
1255 Falling Into Spring

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sorry to read that you're a bit down in the dumps. I like those first 2 quite a bit.

6:40 AM  
Blogger Scott said...

I appreciate it. Funny, I woke up with a ripping headache and a better mood. Identifying what is messing with me seems to be the best, and of course most obtuse step.

I'm having fun with all these shots, and spend a lot of time trying, tweaking, viewing high and low resolution... This is the sort of stuff I've enjoyed since I was a kid and thought was nothing serious. As I get techniques improved I'll start looking for more deliberately composed and exposed shots.

7:13 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home