Acting Up

My musings, thoughts, rants, and discoveries. - Scott Maddock

Back to Blogging


I haven't blogged here since 2012. Why am I making a stab at it again?

I realized two things about social media I wanted to get away from. First was that I was often using it as a journal, which is boring and maybe TMI for those platforms. Secondly I was using it too much for my taste, so that I felt like a tool for marketers rather than using social media as a tool for my ends.




Friday, April 24, 2009

Cruiser

I'm still working on getting my pictures quickly composed and shot, and taking varying exposures with regards to aperture/time, and only occasionally tweaking ISO. I need to get a better understanding of that and exposure length to decrease/increase the degree of washout.

Here's another shot of the Chevy. It took me a while to figure it out, but Dave and Jerry identified it as a late 60's Impala, and with some googling I figure it to be a 1967 Impala. I remember the models about six years later which were huge old boats. It's amazing how much time is eaten up in post-processing. I was low on memory, and just maxed my motherboard, upgrading from .5 to 3.0 gb. (That's more memory than my first four machines had in total -- on their freaking hard drives.) That sped up the editing several fold.

Tweaked the sky, the car, the painted surface of the car, the rest of the background with slightly different effects to bring out the details, before blurring and other effects were applied, and layers blended and merged in different ways and orders to get the following two versions. Here's the original.
1269 Lookin' At Ya'

As I was stepping through blending options this caught me. It has the look cars had in our mind's eye back in the mid 70's when I did a bit of cruising and racing around in a beat up '67 firebird with an overpowered high performance big block.
1269 Lookin' At Ya' (Cruisin')

This is more of an effect to bring out some details and stylizing for an antique car. Some similar affects, but more nostalgic. Rather than trying to evoke the coolness of the cars as we lived for them and defined ourselves with, a purty rose-colored rendition. With the car colors given a bit of a cool feel.
1269 Lookin' At Ya' (Cool)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home