Bartok Chili
I finally found some dried red kidney beans at PCC. Canned ones are easy to find, but just not the same. Learning to not add salt or acidic items until the beans are soft enough not only reduces the cook time, but makes them much better. I had some chicken breasts and chicken sausages I needed to use up last weekend, so I did. It actually worked quite well, except the sausage weren't an Italian types, and didn't really go with the chili. Kind of an atonal note to the flavor. Not bad, but an unexpected palette cleaning. I actually kind of liked the surprising counterpoint. I'm like that with modern classical music. I can't tell you why I like the atonals in a particular piece, and not in another. I just do.
The skunk cabbages I took pictures of yesterday, while lovely to behold aren't so nice to smell. Another atonal or discordant situation. Some critters like the smell, as it is designed to attract them for pollination. I looked them up in wikipedia and found they can be used a food item. If things ever got that bad, I wonder how much competition there would be.
I played with the colors to intensify the image before applying the artistic filters. I really liked the first effect I tried and worked with that. In ascending order of my perception of the urgency the colors imparted, here are the three I uploaded to flickr. I haven't yet decided which version I like more. If anyone is out there I'd appreciate your thoughts, even if it is "Why is Scott wasting my time with noxious flora?"
This one is a black and white version, which has a ghostly quality for me.

This is a hint of another edit which is in progress, maintaining photo quality, but turning the flower red. Blending the edges is pretty tedious (I need to find a better way than smudge/blur/smudge/blur/...), and I'm only about a third of the way done with that -- I'll post it here if it comes out decent. This is less of the blood red used in that version, rather a primary red version of the black and white.

This is how the image looked before converting to the monochrome versions. I titled it Skunk Cabbage Bar Art as it has a bit of the black velvet look. Sans the ubiquitous presence of The King or canine card sharks.
The skunk cabbages I took pictures of yesterday, while lovely to behold aren't so nice to smell. Another atonal or discordant situation. Some critters like the smell, as it is designed to attract them for pollination. I looked them up in wikipedia and found they can be used a food item. If things ever got that bad, I wonder how much competition there would be.
I played with the colors to intensify the image before applying the artistic filters. I really liked the first effect I tried and worked with that. In ascending order of my perception of the urgency the colors imparted, here are the three I uploaded to flickr. I haven't yet decided which version I like more. If anyone is out there I'd appreciate your thoughts, even if it is "Why is Scott wasting my time with noxious flora?"
This one is a black and white version, which has a ghostly quality for me.
This is a hint of another edit which is in progress, maintaining photo quality, but turning the flower red. Blending the edges is pretty tedious (I need to find a better way than smudge/blur/smudge/blur/...), and I'm only about a third of the way done with that -- I'll post it here if it comes out decent. This is less of the blood red used in that version, rather a primary red version of the black and white.
This is how the image looked before converting to the monochrome versions. I titled it Skunk Cabbage Bar Art as it has a bit of the black velvet look. Sans the ubiquitous presence of The King or canine card sharks.
2 Comments:
I like that last one especially well. The ghostly first one is very nice, too.
That's my feelings on them too.
Post a Comment
<< Home