Acting Up

My musings, thoughts, rants, and discoveries. - Scott Maddock

Back to Blogging


I haven't blogged here since 2012. Why am I making a stab at it again?

I realized two things about social media I wanted to get away from. First was that I was often using it as a journal, which is boring and maybe TMI for those platforms. Secondly I was using it too much for my taste, so that I felt like a tool for marketers rather than using social media as a tool for my ends.




Friday, July 25, 2008

Blah, Blah

I got away from my regular posts, feeling they were becoming mundane and repetitive. Well, duh. It's a journal, and life is like that. Plus I've been busy, but that didn't stop me in the past.

It's an interesting thing for me. When I'm actively journalling I feel more productive, a combination of the perceived and the actual. When I note what I've done it is more immediate, and gives me more feeling of accomplishment. Then there is a little added pressure: "What will I write about in the next few days?" I don't respond to pressure from others, but that subtle pressure from myself seems to be a motivator.

Tomorrow we close As You Like It. It will be the fourth show I've done this year, ironic as I'd decided to pick and choose more and take it easy. Well, two Shakespeare productions is very nice to have under my belt. Plus this is the third paid show this year. They are modest stipends, and I generally don't cash the checks as a surprise donation when they balance their books.

I had a callback for a Stoppard one act (After Magritte) on Wednesday. I hadn't auditioned, but got a referral from an actor (and director) I worked with in Troilus and Cressida. It was fun, and I'd read the play aloud for my character ahead of time. Next time I do that I'll read aloud with neutrality. My take on the character was of course different than that of the director, and I had extra difficulty in taking direction on the spot because of that habit. Nothing I couldn't get rid of with an hour's work, but I kept falling back into the choice I'd made for myself. Better than bringing nothing, but still limiting. I don't expect to get that part, but I sure learned a lot about how I should prepare in the future. Plus, it was a lot of fun.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home