Acting Up

My musings, thoughts, rants, and discoveries. - Scott Maddock

Back to Blogging


I haven't blogged here since 2012. Why am I making a stab at it again?

I realized two things about social media I wanted to get away from. First was that I was often using it as a journal, which is boring and maybe TMI for those platforms. Secondly I was using it too much for my taste, so that I felt like a tool for marketers rather than using social media as a tool for my ends.




Wednesday, June 11, 2008

SureWould (Random Thoughts)

The democrats are about to reaffirm their obedience to the republican belief the president should be above the law.
:: Sorry Mr. Kucinich. Sorry America. Sorry Planet.



McCain finished at the bottom of his class, 894/899. Some claim that is because he is a rebel, the same crowd that worships the "No Child Left Behind" blight to gut all education in lieu of narrow trade school training. The conservatives only apply academic standards where they are inappropriate. He still finished the academy, and I'd bet big money it was thanks to his daddy the admiral.

Now we've set the stage for the beginning of his career. We all know he was shot down and spent five and a half years in Hell -- as a POW. He is a hero for surviving and I believe his refusal to be released early (because of his Father's prominence) was a real act of bravery. That experience didn't magically make him more competent, though it opened the door for many opportunities. That is perfectly reasonable. He was given command of a training squadron, and is credited with earning them the MUC. When I was in the service it was generally granted for political points, or used by martinets as the only way they could get recognition. Also during my time in the Navy, training commands weren't the ones given to golden boys. He is credited with improving the squadron, and my jaundiced eye reads between the lines. All in all, an undistinguished career, other than opportunism punctuated by the horrific stay in Hanoi Hilton.

Nobody should have to go through what he went through at the hands the North Vietnamese. Even if they are our enemies. They say bad things happen to good people. My personal opinion is that McCain is a good example of bad things happening to people who are not so good, or at my most charitable, to unremarkable flip-floppers.



Why was Obama my only choice since Edwards dropped out? He appears to me to be the only candidate who takes stands rather than trying to game the polls while at the same time pandering to the bottom feeders for their party. I don't agree with everything Obama says. He could disagree with me on a much larger number things, and I'd still support him. You see, I actually feel I know where he stands.

I can't say the same for McCain. Is he against torture? Kind of, almost... Is Hillary opposed to the war? Kind of, now, almost...

Of course we know where Bush stands. For the uber wealthy and against everybody else. His lies and once charming (to some) illiteracy cover up the harsh reality. He is "Hood Robin", taking every possible cent from the poor and giving it to the rich. Would the old machine candidates (McCain and most the other gop'rs, Hillary and a lot of the other dem's) be any different? That is the question everyone needs to honestly ask themselves. While you're conclusion may well be different, I'd hope you'd prefer "Robin Hood."



The republicans blocked extending benefits for the jobless. I guess they need to economize in order to bankroll the tax cuts for the wealthy executives, so they can more easily cover the initial cost of permanently outsourcing more jobs. Curious this is more heavily reported in the foreign media.



Like I said yesterday, for the first time in my adult life I feel our country may be moving in the right direction (even if it is to the left). Towards responsibility. Towards honor. Even the democratic party has taken a step in the right direction! Still we have to constantly watch those driven by avarice. The ANWR can only be destroyed once. Yet, it has to be saved several times every year. Eventually we'll allow the oil companies to poison. It won't put off the day when we deplete the planet's oil reserves by very much. It won't save us a cent at the gas pump. It will give the oil companies and their puppets (all those bribed politicians) a nice windfall. The hunger for destruction is eternal, whether for it's own sake (i.e. wars for the heck of it) or the greed of a few (i.e. oil), and keeping them in check enough that we can heal scars faster than they are created may be a losing battle for mankind. The basis of hope, is the belief there is a possibility we can save our nest before the blindly avaricious piss it out of existence.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home