What To Do
Well I've been quiet lately. Couple things going on. One is I decided to get a new car. I'm getting either a Toyota Prius (hybrid) or a VW Jetta TDI (diesel). The VW is a little bit more and it is a manual, but I like the idea of biodiesel. The Prius appeals too because of the great mileage. Both let me greatly reduce the money I spend with dubya's bosses. I'm really torn and will think on it tonight.
The other thing, well more on that later. Nothing terrible, the opposite I hope.
I've been driving junkers for years. The last quiet car I had was a '69 Malibu which I drove for a year or two around 1980. I've never owned a new car, and driving junkers has allowed me to save enough that I'll be able to write a check instead of paying interest on a loan. Of course now I won't collect interest either. So, I'll have to do something with the Vanagon. It's running but the transmission and engine both have very limited longevity now. Fixing them would cost a third of what a new car would cost. If I did it myself it would be much cheaper. I don't think I'll actually do that, so I'll be giving it away in the Fall... Maybe I can find another theatre person to give it to, and keep the chain going.
PS - Update. I decided on the Prius. Just not enough selection with the vw's this year. Maybe in a couple years. Here's what I expect to pick up this evening. I'm not getting the touring model, but I don't think there is any (significant) difference in the exterior. Usually you can get bargains this time of year, but that is offset by gas prices. I suppose that is a down side, but with more than double the mpg the savings at the pump will soon make up the difference. (I expect to be going from a bit under 20mpg to a bit under 60mpg. Heck that could be three times the mpg. (My old roommate got 50mpg with his and he accelerates pretty firmly.)
The other thing, well more on that later. Nothing terrible, the opposite I hope.
I've been driving junkers for years. The last quiet car I had was a '69 Malibu which I drove for a year or two around 1980. I've never owned a new car, and driving junkers has allowed me to save enough that I'll be able to write a check instead of paying interest on a loan. Of course now I won't collect interest either. So, I'll have to do something with the Vanagon. It's running but the transmission and engine both have very limited longevity now. Fixing them would cost a third of what a new car would cost. If I did it myself it would be much cheaper. I don't think I'll actually do that, so I'll be giving it away in the Fall... Maybe I can find another theatre person to give it to, and keep the chain going.
PS - Update. I decided on the Prius. Just not enough selection with the vw's this year. Maybe in a couple years. Here's what I expect to pick up this evening. I'm not getting the touring model, but I don't think there is any (significant) difference in the exterior. Usually you can get bargains this time of year, but that is offset by gas prices. I suppose that is a down side, but with more than double the mpg the savings at the pump will soon make up the difference. (I expect to be going from a bit under 20mpg to a bit under 60mpg. Heck that could be three times the mpg. (My old roommate got 50mpg with his and he accelerates pretty firmly.)
0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home