D
Strange evening Sunday night. The night before we'd closed Arsenic And Old Lace which had special meaning for me, being the first play I ever saw as a kid. Kind of a late night, striking the set.
I slept in. I'd hoped to get to the library to get a book dealing with ASL, turns out it is just as well I didn't for this week. I was to pick up some dvd's from George for class. He's out recuperating from he the quintuple bypass, and Sunday was the one day the replacement instructors couldn't make it. There was some confusion, but the proper dvd's finally made it to the house he's staying at. A friend of his who is on Freehold's board. She is an artist, so while I was waiting I took the opportunity to enjoy the pieces, some her's and some bartered. We didn't talk long, so George wouldn't be tempted to join us I suppose. Lovely house, lovely woman, lovely work. A few stolen moments enjoying beauty on so many levels is always a gift.
After we watched the films it was pouring down rain, making my plans to walk all the way down to Half Price Books less appealing. One of the other students had ridden her bicycle so I offered her a ride back to Ballard, and I stopped at the Wedgewood Third Place Books on the way back. You see, I was planning to see You Can't Take It With You and only had an hour and a half or so between class and curtain, so was happy to find someplace I wanted to go on the way back from giving my classmate a lift.
At the bookstore I picked up four Dr. Seuss books (McElligot's Pool, Bartholomew and the Oobleck, Yertle the Turtle and Other Stories, & Hunches in Bunches) and stopped briefly from some food at PCC, then over to Hugo House to watch the play. This was the first play I was in where I had lines, so it also had a special meaning, and it was also a final performance. Mr. Kolenkhov was the role I had, and I know the actor who played him in this production. It was very fun watching the show, and it brought back a lot of memories as well as giving me a different perspective.
Then I got home and had a real dinner and started reading the Dr. Seuss books. My God, I never appreciated his books before. I read all of them aloud at least once before going to sleep. Crazy or fun voices jump out of the characters, and the classical training from last year seemed to make the text pop more. I'm looking forward to reading them more tonight. Go figure. I'd never had enjoyed them so much reading them to myself, probably wouldn't have at all. I was up until 2am. I woke up at 8am ready to go read, and I received a sad E-mail. One of the students lost her mother over the weekend. The hearing impaired girl. I imagine she'll be out for a while. Keep her in your thoughts. Life isn't fair, and this is one of those examples lest we forget. The other kids were to be informed in the morning, so I wouldn't be able to read for them. I rescheduled for Wednesday. I hope Dr. Seuss will be just the ticket. He sure makes me feel better.
It's Wednesday already. Slow getting to editing, and I'll still miss things. I read to the kids this morning, and they seemed to enjoy Dr. Seuss. I went farther than I have with other voices, or at least I think so. I'll have to check in with the teachers, but I think they really got into Bartholomew and the Oobleck. Pretty quiet, but not zoned. Some stories have them participating and laughing, others catch their interest and really connect with them, and some bore them. I think this was of the second category.
Pretty standard blog for #500, eh?
I slept in. I'd hoped to get to the library to get a book dealing with ASL, turns out it is just as well I didn't for this week. I was to pick up some dvd's from George for class. He's out recuperating from he the quintuple bypass, and Sunday was the one day the replacement instructors couldn't make it. There was some confusion, but the proper dvd's finally made it to the house he's staying at. A friend of his who is on Freehold's board. She is an artist, so while I was waiting I took the opportunity to enjoy the pieces, some her's and some bartered. We didn't talk long, so George wouldn't be tempted to join us I suppose. Lovely house, lovely woman, lovely work. A few stolen moments enjoying beauty on so many levels is always a gift.
After we watched the films it was pouring down rain, making my plans to walk all the way down to Half Price Books less appealing. One of the other students had ridden her bicycle so I offered her a ride back to Ballard, and I stopped at the Wedgewood Third Place Books on the way back. You see, I was planning to see You Can't Take It With You and only had an hour and a half or so between class and curtain, so was happy to find someplace I wanted to go on the way back from giving my classmate a lift.
At the bookstore I picked up four Dr. Seuss books (McElligot's Pool, Bartholomew and the Oobleck, Yertle the Turtle and Other Stories, & Hunches in Bunches) and stopped briefly from some food at PCC, then over to Hugo House to watch the play. This was the first play I was in where I had lines, so it also had a special meaning, and it was also a final performance. Mr. Kolenkhov was the role I had, and I know the actor who played him in this production. It was very fun watching the show, and it brought back a lot of memories as well as giving me a different perspective.
Then I got home and had a real dinner and started reading the Dr. Seuss books. My God, I never appreciated his books before. I read all of them aloud at least once before going to sleep. Crazy or fun voices jump out of the characters, and the classical training from last year seemed to make the text pop more. I'm looking forward to reading them more tonight. Go figure. I'd never had enjoyed them so much reading them to myself, probably wouldn't have at all. I was up until 2am. I woke up at 8am ready to go read, and I received a sad E-mail. One of the students lost her mother over the weekend. The hearing impaired girl. I imagine she'll be out for a while. Keep her in your thoughts. Life isn't fair, and this is one of those examples lest we forget. The other kids were to be informed in the morning, so I wouldn't be able to read for them. I rescheduled for Wednesday. I hope Dr. Seuss will be just the ticket. He sure makes me feel better.
It's Wednesday already. Slow getting to editing, and I'll still miss things. I read to the kids this morning, and they seemed to enjoy Dr. Seuss. I went farther than I have with other voices, or at least I think so. I'll have to check in with the teachers, but I think they really got into Bartholomew and the Oobleck. Pretty quiet, but not zoned. Some stories have them participating and laughing, others catch their interest and really connect with them, and some bore them. I think this was of the second category.
Pretty standard blog for #500, eh?
0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home