Acting Up

My musings, thoughts, rants, and discoveries. - Scott Maddock

Back to Blogging


I haven't blogged here since 2012. Why am I making a stab at it again?

I realized two things about social media I wanted to get away from. First was that I was often using it as a journal, which is boring and maybe TMI for those platforms. Secondly I was using it too much for my taste, so that I felt like a tool for marketers rather than using social media as a tool for my ends.




Wednesday, April 18, 2007

Here And Then

My GreenStage callback last night was pretty fun. If only I could make the initial audition as fun. I don't like to say it went well, as that implies the auditor thought so too. Also, from being on the other side of the process, I know a good audition only gives the director a choice. It doesn't give you a role.

I read for Edward IV, Brakenbury, and Stanley. In that order. I like them all, perhaps Stanley the best, or maybe Edward IV. Is it a good sign when they keep giving you more scenes to read? I went in expecting one, then stayed around for another, and again for a third. I was also handed a monologue for Richard, imagine my 'discontent' when that changed. Clarence too. Could it mean they were having trouble casting roles and were hoping to find something I could work with? Or, could it mean they liked my work but were struggling to find a suitable role for me. You could drive yourself crazy trying to figure that out. I think I'll let the director go crazy and keep looking for auditions until I hear back.

It really was fun. I'd get the sides and start reading. Instant analysis of a sort, noting the meter, meaning, and devices like punctuation, alliteration or breaks in the meter. Last year's work came flooding back. There wasn't time for in depth or comprehensive work, but enough to feel the life of the text. The chance to do so in the second to scenes where I had a partner made it all the more fun. When I was handed Richard's opening monologue when I first arrived, only to have it changed after a few minutes, those few short minutes brought out more than I'd ever gotten from watching that monologue before. Shakespeare truly takes care of the actor if you can figure out how to listen. Everyone that I met there, I'd like to work with. My fingers are crossed until Friday or Monday when we'll be notified...

As I edge towards post number 500 I reflect. When I started this blog in June 2004, I was finishing up my first dedicated training program, a one year Meisner Progression. It gave me naturalistic tools I'm still assimilating. Two years later, last year, I was finishing up a professional conservancy program. I'm still assimilating much of that too. Working with Shakespeare competently enough to be considered seriously is a huge step for me. I'm certainly not satisfied, but the times when you can feel your growth are little treasures. Rare and priceless.

While I'm moving forward as an artist, the rest of the world moves forward too. Friendships and relationships evolve and devolve. The blogosphere folks I met when I first started are all either retired or very infrequent. (Should I move on too?) My family situation has moved from a bit dysfunctional to mostly non-functional. My old friends are still around, and some new ones. It occurs to me I'm acting with a company I've never worked with before, and if I'm cast as a result of last night's callback I'll be with yet another new group. My old friends are still around but those relationships are changing. Different jobs, significant others, moving. All the things which make life... well life. Maybe that is why I'm feeling a bit of wanderlust. With one or two exceptions the relationships I had when I started this blog have moved into very different dynamics, all of which seem to be loosening ties. And in the back of my being something I've not felt a desire for in many years. A longing to be close to another. Not at the forefront by any means, but the desire to grow is may be moving beyond simply getting my own house in order. So to speak.

Another year or two from now I may not be in this area. This state. This country. This continent. I may be here but in very different circumstances. I feel the momentum building. So to speak.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've noted the restlessness in recent posts. The desire to take a leap and see where you land. My advice: leap. Embrace the trend when the time comes and run with it. You'll know when. Just be open to it.

5:51 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

But do come back and tell us about it from time to time! Now I know I have no room to talk - infrequent blogger that I am - but it is nice to drop by now and again and see how you're getting on. Looks good, feels good!
Just Me
http://www.picc.blogspot.com

1:14 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home