Call HR
I got scared into chauvenism. Makes me sound like a republican, eh? I was at a four hour meeting on Friday, a vendor presentation/pitch and one of the attendees made me focus on her cleavage. She had an attractive, and not terribly immodest blouse, and pleasingly modest, er, attributes. I don't know if she used botox or had a lot of suppressed stress or rage, though I suspect the former. Her voice was even, pleasant and relaxed, so I figured something besides stress was the culprit.
Anyway I realized I was staring at her face, particularly around the brow and upper cheeks trying to figure out how much it took to make expressions show and where. Reminded me of counting holes in ceiling tiles when I was bored as a kid. It occurred to me ceiling tiles never felt awkward when I peered at them, but this pretty red haired lady might feel strange having me stare her down. So I stopped studying her face, turning off the actor's homework urge. It was difficult not to stare at her face, and my eyes ended up straying to the first pleasant, welcoming sight, or site? Wry questions aside, it left me without a business appropriate and comfortable way to look at this person.
So, the blouse was attractive and maybe beckoning. I probably wouldn't have noticed so much, had the face been more open. I understand it is all the rage with sales and marketing folks to get botox. Why? Am I the only one who finds paralyzed faces more than a little creepy, not to mention it counteracts my natural inclination to be trusting of people. Botox comes across as a mask, and hiding behind that mask comes between me and trust. Oh well, at least there was a friendly place for non-pc eyes to wander.
Anyway I realized I was staring at her face, particularly around the brow and upper cheeks trying to figure out how much it took to make expressions show and where. Reminded me of counting holes in ceiling tiles when I was bored as a kid. It occurred to me ceiling tiles never felt awkward when I peered at them, but this pretty red haired lady might feel strange having me stare her down. So I stopped studying her face, turning off the actor's homework urge. It was difficult not to stare at her face, and my eyes ended up straying to the first pleasant, welcoming sight, or site? Wry questions aside, it left me without a business appropriate and comfortable way to look at this person.
So, the blouse was attractive and maybe beckoning. I probably wouldn't have noticed so much, had the face been more open. I understand it is all the rage with sales and marketing folks to get botox. Why? Am I the only one who finds paralyzed faces more than a little creepy, not to mention it counteracts my natural inclination to be trusting of people. Botox comes across as a mask, and hiding behind that mask comes between me and trust. Oh well, at least there was a friendly place for non-pc eyes to wander.
2 Comments:
I know of only one person who gets regular botox treatments that does so for reasons other than vanity. She really needs them to help prevent migraine headaches and has a devil of a time trying to convince doctors and friends that this is the real reason.
So the meeting wasn't a complete waste, eh?
It's tough for people with a legitimite medical need. I've a niece with migraines, and I hope she doesn't have to resort to botox, because of the stereotype people like me struggle with when we see paralyzed faces.
Nope, not a total waste. It had its ups and downs, peaks and valleys...
Post a Comment
<< Home