Acting Up

My musings, thoughts, rants, and discoveries. - Scott Maddock

Back to Blogging


I haven't blogged here since 2012. Why am I making a stab at it again?

I realized two things about social media I wanted to get away from. First was that I was often using it as a journal, which is boring and maybe TMI for those platforms. Secondly I was using it too much for my taste, so that I felt like a tool for marketers rather than using social media as a tool for my ends.




Thursday, January 11, 2007

On The Rocks, On The Boards

Well, I'm working on a show. Our piece is a staged reading, and we got the final (we hope) addendum to the script at the dress rehearsal/preview last night. I was cast a little over a week ago, and have the lead I suppose. Certainly the most lines. Working with a music stand is new for me, but the big challenge is being really mean. An authoritarian prick actually. Ironic, with all the auditioning I did I ended up getting the main character in a piece I didn't audition for.

With the storm moving in last night I was keeping an eye on the DOT (Department Of Transportation) site, and decided to give myself an extra 45 minutes, leaving by 5pm for the 6:30 call. I like to be early, and with normal rush hour traffic it takes 35-50 minutes to get to Freehold. As I was gathering my coat and bag, Steve in the next office said he'd spent twenty minutes getting out of the garage, and upon seeing the roads, turned around. He actually spent the night here, along with a lot of other people.

The traffic was still backed up and it took me longer to get out of the garage, at least 30 minutes. I emerged to an ironic sight. Along with the incredibly long back up, a tow truck had crashed into a tree or pole just across from our parking garage. I'm guessing what happened was they'd impounded some poor persons car because they get stuck, and probably parked in a private lot. I'd also bet the warning signs were obscured, and some heartless person with no regard for weather exigencies and safety called for the rapacious tow truck. Well, that was my fantasy of the situation. Flatbed tow truck up and over the sidewalk, stuck in the dirt where he struck the tree. Beside it and askew a compact with the fender and hood mashed in a peculiar way, but with no other marks.

Another 60 minutes, and I had gone 3/4 of a mile or so to the on-ramp, and turned off for some gas and a restroom. I wasn't sure I could gut out either liquid level. I'd left my cell at home, so I also called our director to see if we were canceled. The weather wasn't so bad in Seattle, so we were a go and both of us were going to be late, as she was not too far from where I was. People were weird the previous day in anticipation of the weather, so I had to call, which is why I thought the extra 45 minutes would be fine last night. I don't recall ever having to call because I was delayed, and now, two nights in a row. I've been delayed in the past, but as I am generally quite early it wasn't a problem for anyone else. I'm leaving really freaking early tonight.

The gas station didn't cause me to lose more than a few minutes, as it is at a traffic light that puts you almost on the on-ramp. Lots of cars stuck there, so a very messy push, but people were much more polite than usual. I was on the road for two and half hours, and had gone barely more than a mile. I was surprised to see troopers signaling the traffic into the two left lanes. Risky business, as we were driving on compacted snow and ice, with a thin layer of water. The temperature was right at freezing, so it wasn't melting or freezing, just maintaining the slickest surface possible. Then I saw the author of the traffic problem, which was so much worse than I expected. At least until the traffic suddenly backed clear up to my parking spot.

An articulated Metro bus had jackknifed across the freeway, leaving only one particularly icy lane open. That was what would be the first five to ten minutes on a clear to moderately busy day. In just fifteen more minutes I was at the theatre, safe and sound. It was an okay run, though we some new text, and still a bit off from the commute. Some jocular swearing and stretches helped to relieve some emotional and physical tension, and served to remind me why I like to arrive well before call. I do like to take my time and do my little ritual, of simply sitting somewhere in the seats for a minute or ten.

I came to work quite late, by surface streets, which were still sheathed with wet ice. Not much traffic, so I was only delayed a couple minutes. If I ever get rid of my truck, I'll miss the 4wd on a vehicle I don't have to worry about scratching or denting. It sure is a champ in nasty weather.

It was breath taking when I got home last night. I don't know that I've ever seen such a lovely snow at this house. We've had stuff that was pretty deep several times, but never that powdery kind that sticks to the trees, without piling up too deeply. I took some pictures, and when I have time I'll see if they came out. The morning pictures are probably nice, but boring and it didn't look so magical. If any of you have a photo load site you really like, could you leave me the URL in comments? I've not tried loading my pictures before, and I'd like something where ease of use is number one. I don't care for any cutesy functionality, just the ability to drop files.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, I use Flickr (http://www.flickr.com) which may be too cutsey for you. They have a good upload tool (stand alone), though, and you can upload using their website or by email. You can easily post to the blog using Flickr as well. I just posted some shots.

It took me 4 hours to get home from Issaquah Wednesday night. I had lunch with a friend there, did some quick shopping, and was on the road home by 3:30. 405 was a parking lot, so I got off at 85th, cut through Redmond, Woodinville, and Duvall. Ugh...

7:21 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home