Acting Up

My musings, thoughts, rants, and discoveries. - Scott Maddock

Back to Blogging


I haven't blogged here since 2012. Why am I making a stab at it again?

I realized two things about social media I wanted to get away from. First was that I was often using it as a journal, which is boring and maybe TMI for those platforms. Secondly I was using it too much for my taste, so that I felt like a tool for marketers rather than using social media as a tool for my ends.




Saturday, June 03, 2006

Why Do I ...?

Okay, that was awful. I didn't get to the audition as early as I wanted. Then I was called in early, which was a surprise I appreciated. Still, I didn't get a chance to settle down and relax. I'd parked a couple blocks away. It felt lovely out, but by Seattle acclimatization it was pretty muggy. No problem in itself, but I pretty much went straight in for the audition, and the room they had set up was pretty warm. I ended up sweating profusely. Like a glass of ice water, after a tropical thunderstorm.

I think it started out well. They just wanted me to talk for a bit, which I assume served as a bit of a screen test. There was the director, producer, and executive producer who served as reader, and I jabber pretty well with a small group like that. No idea how I play on a camera, though I've always thought I didn't come across well. On the one short film I did several years ago, I've had several people who I admire and trust tell me I was the high point of the film. Maybe they were being kind, or maybe I film better than I think.

It was a juicy character, who is a little nutty. Talking schizophrenic paranoid nonsense. I've seen people talk that way. I worked on it for a bit last night, and found something pretty fun when I used some accents, especially southern. It was all gone this morning. Partly because I was sitting, which feels very strange to me now, and doesn't serve me well. Partly I couldn't find the character I'd started creating last night. I should have tried the southern accent, as that helped with character. I didn't because it needs brushing up, and is terrible. Wrong choice I suspect. I didn't try to play crazy, which was a good choice. I was serious about the whacked out things I was saying. More character and voice work would have done the rest, as I didn't make the character pop. And partly, perhaps mostly, it was an audition.

They were nice folks and I had a good time, and got some valuable experience. I'd love to work on the film, but I'd be quite surprised if I even get a call back. Next time. I know next to nothing about camera work, and now I know a tiny bit more.

And next time I audition for anything I'll plan on arriving an hour early, instead of 15-30 minutes early. I want to avoid another situation like today where I get delayed, am only ten minutes early, and I'm called early.

I saw King John again on Thursday. A number of my classmates saw it as well, and they felt the same way as I. I only promote a show like this in which I'm not directly affiliated, every couple years. Let's see, I see over fifty productions a year, so that is less than 1% of the time. It's also the first time I've seen a show more than once in several years. I wonder why I bother. I don't think anyone has ever taken me up on the advice. Actually, I do know why I bother. I can't imagine not telling people about a show which is so wonderful. Since 2000, I have promoted two other shows in this way. R. Buckminster Fuller in 2001 and Exchange Theatre's Journey's End in 2003.

Likely nobody will see King John on my recommendation, but I was happy to see the theatre had a good house on Thursday. I plan on making a donation to the company, in hopes they will do more of this kind of work. I doubt they will create something that grabs me this much any time soon, but I'd certainly expect more superior work. Thus, it is a company I want to support. I don't know if they'll stick with all-female casts, but if that is part of their charter it is less awkward for me. I worry about making donations to companies I'd like audition for.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

ah you are wrong grasshopper! I saw King John on your recommendation alone. In fact I went Saturday night - I knew it was full I went anyway hoping to weasel my way in. No go. I was on a waiting list about 15 deep. I went back Sunday still on a waiting list but I knew I would get in I just knew it and I did. I got the LAST ticket of the LAST performance of King John and I was totally enthralled with it. So, thank you. One of the best performances I've ever seen period.

Greg

5:45 PM  
Blogger Scott said...

Great! I do love being wrong. I was talking to someone else, who got the last ticket on Saturday. I think it was a fellow ETI'er.

7:13 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home