The Show Must Go...Damn
Last night I met Paula and Noah, a Cornish student who will be a junior next year, at CHAC. They worked together in a theatre lab/training project for homeless kids in the University District. At CHAC we saw an all female production of King John. Kate W one of the ETI voice instructors, and Amy one of the Shakespeare instructors, were in the play, with Amy playing the title role. Kate had a multiple roles, including the Dauphin. Oh my God! It is one of the strongest Shakespeare performances I have ever seen. It certainly served as credentials for our instructors, who also teach at matriculating programs (UW's PATP, Cornish, Seattle University). The staging was great, and though there were a few production choices I didn't care for, none of them were bothersome enough to detract.
Have you ever seen a Shakespeare piece that did not have some weak actors? Of course, unless you've never seen Shakespeare. This is the first time I have ever seen a Shakespeare production where there was not a weak link. There may have been stronger actors, but not a one who wasn't truthful, in the world, etc. I knew several of the other actors. Those I've worked with in the past were Tracy Repep who also did several roles and was wonderful. The other was Peggy Gannon who played the Bastard Phillip. What a juicy role that is, and another phenomenal performance in this cast! I was surprised they both remembered me, Tracy even remembering my name. Of course, the times I worked with them I had my head shaved with the beard trimmed as I'm sporting now. Kind of unique I suppose, and being big and tall makes me stand out a bit too.
show closes next weekend, and if you are in the Seattle area I can't encourage you too much to see this show. I had never seen or read the play before, and it is now among my favorites. Go. See it! The more I think about this show, the more I like it and want to see it again.
Afterwards we went to see Jet City Improv. I hadn't seen them for a year or so. Steve was doing keyboard for them, and his musical skill just keeps getting better and deeper and broader. He was definitely the high point for the show last night for me. It was fun, but certainly not the best work I've seen them do. They were doing all the right improv things, making and accepting offers... "Yes, and..." "Heighten and explore." "No negation." etc. The energy or connection was just a little off. Or is that I'm pickier now that I've had so much more training and exposure? I don't think so. They all seemed to be generous players, and the show warmed up as it went on, but it wasn't one those where things got hot and sublime from the get go.
Have you ever seen a Shakespeare piece that did not have some weak actors? Of course, unless you've never seen Shakespeare. This is the first time I have ever seen a Shakespeare production where there was not a weak link. There may have been stronger actors, but not a one who wasn't truthful, in the world, etc. I knew several of the other actors. Those I've worked with in the past were Tracy Repep who also did several roles and was wonderful. The other was Peggy Gannon who played the Bastard Phillip. What a juicy role that is, and another phenomenal performance in this cast! I was surprised they both remembered me, Tracy even remembering my name. Of course, the times I worked with them I had my head shaved with the beard trimmed as I'm sporting now. Kind of unique I suppose, and being big and tall makes me stand out a bit too.
show closes next weekend, and if you are in the Seattle area I can't encourage you too much to see this show. I had never seen or read the play before, and it is now among my favorites. Go. See it! The more I think about this show, the more I like it and want to see it again.
Afterwards we went to see Jet City Improv. I hadn't seen them for a year or so. Steve was doing keyboard for them, and his musical skill just keeps getting better and deeper and broader. He was definitely the high point for the show last night for me. It was fun, but certainly not the best work I've seen them do. They were doing all the right improv things, making and accepting offers... "Yes, and..." "Heighten and explore." "No negation." etc. The energy or connection was just a little off. Or is that I'm pickier now that I've had so much more training and exposure? I don't think so. They all seemed to be generous players, and the show warmed up as it went on, but it wasn't one those where things got hot and sublime from the get go.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home