Still Kicking
Nearly three weeks since I posted. We're half way through the mainstage portion of The Merchant Of Venice. It's been harrowing. Lots of development and ensemble work, and wondering when we'd actually start running the damned play. Blocking, cuts, uncuts, and such going on day to day never seeming to slow down. A week and a half from opening, we finally run the play. Then back to working and changing acts. At least it was bigger chunks than scenes. Making changes opening night, and again tonight.
During the last week of rehearsal it occurred to me this was likely the plan all along. That our ensemble nature, and the intensive training made us able to respond to this kind of process. All of us had worked shows where much more time was needed running the show to get the rehearsal done. It seems the tools we've built this year, which are nowhere near assimilated, are still enough that we have been able to respond and adjust. We were able to spend more time developing the show itself, and less time developing the actors.
We are extremely happy with how the show is going. Full (or nearly so) houses, and terrific responses. Not a one of us is close to satisfied with our work, so it is likely to continue improving. Then on the road to the prisons, hospital, low income housing (traditional and tent city), where we'll also have to assemble and disassemble the stage for each show. It's hard and sad to believe it will come to an end so soon.
Tonight I got especially nice and sincere compliments from a good friend, director, and lead musician. They are particularly meaningful, as I was painfully aware of things I wished I'd done better. For all intents and purposes this is a professional production, and Shakespeare to boot. More than anything I wanted to not screw it up. To acquit myself well was hoped for, but not expected. I still want to do a Hell of a lot better.
G'night my friends. More later.
During the last week of rehearsal it occurred to me this was likely the plan all along. That our ensemble nature, and the intensive training made us able to respond to this kind of process. All of us had worked shows where much more time was needed running the show to get the rehearsal done. It seems the tools we've built this year, which are nowhere near assimilated, are still enough that we have been able to respond and adjust. We were able to spend more time developing the show itself, and less time developing the actors.
We are extremely happy with how the show is going. Full (or nearly so) houses, and terrific responses. Not a one of us is close to satisfied with our work, so it is likely to continue improving. Then on the road to the prisons, hospital, low income housing (traditional and tent city), where we'll also have to assemble and disassemble the stage for each show. It's hard and sad to believe it will come to an end so soon.
Tonight I got especially nice and sincere compliments from a good friend, director, and lead musician. They are particularly meaningful, as I was painfully aware of things I wished I'd done better. For all intents and purposes this is a professional production, and Shakespeare to boot. More than anything I wanted to not screw it up. To acquit myself well was hoped for, but not expected. I still want to do a Hell of a lot better.
G'night my friends. More later.
0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home