Acting Up

My musings, thoughts, rants, and discoveries. - Scott Maddock

Back to Blogging


I haven't blogged here since 2012. Why am I making a stab at it again?

I realized two things about social media I wanted to get away from. First was that I was often using it as a journal, which is boring and maybe TMI for those platforms. Secondly I was using it too much for my taste, so that I felt like a tool for marketers rather than using social media as a tool for my ends.




Sunday, May 28, 2006

Leap Year

I'm getting hungry, and I want to go out for dinner. I don't feel like calling anyone. There's an antithesis. I'm re-heating my chili to extend the (refrigerator) shelf life, and will likely have that for dinner. There's lots of people I could call, I just feel kind of blah. Felt a little off last night and didn't sleep well. Still loosing some of that old stress into the cosmos I suppose.

I'm tired, have got my quota of line memorization done. I'll do some more, so I can get into deeper text and character analysis later in the week. I'll swing by my local Blockbuster and see if they have The Merchant Of Venice, so I can get more feeling for the flow of the play. Somehow, I'm not worried about getting caught up in someone else's style. Probably because I have four roles, and with Shakespeare which is so dense it is unlikely the interpretation by myself and my directors will mesh exactly with any of the other productions I'm likely to watch. I may get some character or text ideas, but I don't believe my own ideas will be stifled or overwhelmed, likely the opposite.

This is entry 366 for this journal of sorts. While I'm not making any leaps today, it has been a leap year for me. ETI was a pretty big leap. I'm sure I'll gather myself before the next leap, as this one has been a strain. Reading the Ric, Rachel, Piccadilly, and Kipley blogs I feel in great company. Lot's of big leaps lately. While, I've no idea where or when I'll go for my next leap, they'll be encouragement and a challenge.

When I get done with ETI, I'll have been at Expedia nearly two and a half years, a fair to middlin' long time in high tech. The upper echelons of the company are harvesting massive amounts of profit, an indication we are moving towards the standard American corporate model, where shareholders and top predators (ceo's, presidents, etc.) take precedence over customers and employees. Microsoft moved there at least ten years ago, and is struggling with it, trying to improve their treatment of employees; all the business experts I've talked to say it never happens. Once in the pit, there is no way out. I hope Microsoft once again proves people wrong. A lot of that has to do with the fact that our culture started with and in many ways still mirrors Microsoft.

I still love working at Expedia believing it will be a terrific place to work for years to come, and try to get all my smart friends to apply. It is competitive because I'm not the only one doing it. Well, I made a leap to do ETI this year, and not only did Expedia support me fully, as fully as I dared fantasize, I'll be returning to a promotion. A small one, but great all the same.

Big leaps in both my careers, theatre and the day job at Expedia. Things happen so fast now. Yet I find that life doesn't pass by so quickly. There is still a time expansion of sorts, making me feel like a kid again. The big changes the last year, which have been representative of the last five years, are hectic compared to my previous adult years. It seems I made more changes as a person this year than was typical of five or ten years in my twenties or thirties. I'm in the same house, same job(s), yet moving quickly. Degree and quality vs. frequency of motion.

Friday I saw King John, last night I watched Capote. Both were "Oh my God!" experiences, and examples of the kind of work I hope to do. And that takes leaps. Whatever the next leap, it needs to take me in that direction.


1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

We can all use a good leap now and then :)

Boldly go... split infinitives be damned!

7:37 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home