Going, Going...
Paula accepted a directing internship at the Milwaukee Repertory, which provides lodging and a stipend. She was in the beginning of an application process to sixty theatres. This was one of her topmost choices - I looked over the application when we went to see the Three Musketeers (which was a great show) on March 10th. I missed a call from her last week, which was right after she received the offer. Our busy lifestyles are a part of our friendship. I was looking forward to hearing from her, though I didn't know what the news was.
I saw Paula yesterday as I was warming up and waiting for our audition 'final', and she was at Freehold for the first day of Personal Clown (one of the classes I'll be taking in the not too distant future). She told me the news, and it helped me relax before the mock audition. Kate Godman, the casting director for the Intiman, was our audition instructor, and set it up like a professional audition. We had three monologues instead of the normal two, a personal interview, and a prepared reading, combining a cattle call audition with a callback situation. Paula's good news helped me center a bit better for it.
I am excited for Paula. After my audition slot I walked up to their place and hung out with Steve during the unaccustomed Sunday break. Mostly, he composed and I read Paula's Riverside Shakespeare. At this point they haven't decided for sure if they'll leave Seattle. At least for a while Steve will stay around town, and I assured him he had a place to stay if they decide to give up the apartment (and it's a great one). I'll miss Paula when she goes, and Steve as much if they decide to leave the area permanently. One of the schools there has an MFA program for film scoring which pricks Steve's interest. I just can't find any real sadness about it. There is a pang, realizing one or both of them will be far away, possibly permanently. I can't separate it from the stronger pang of happiness. It is wonderful to see friends get terrific opportunities such as this.
I look forward to going to a show at a major theatre directed by Paula, seeing a major movie scored by Steve, and a major show with Gregory in a principle role -- our friend in the acting MFA program at Rutgers. I've seen them in those roles in fringe theatre, worked with them in those roles. It is fun stuff to imagine for the future. We are all serious artists who converged in the camaraderie of productions to become good and close friends. It's highly unlikely we'll all work on the same project again (but who knows for sure?). I'll carry their influence where I go, and they'll carry mine. What more can you hope for as you navigate this existence?
I saw Paula yesterday as I was warming up and waiting for our audition 'final', and she was at Freehold for the first day of Personal Clown (one of the classes I'll be taking in the not too distant future). She told me the news, and it helped me relax before the mock audition. Kate Godman, the casting director for the Intiman, was our audition instructor, and set it up like a professional audition. We had three monologues instead of the normal two, a personal interview, and a prepared reading, combining a cattle call audition with a callback situation. Paula's good news helped me center a bit better for it.
I am excited for Paula. After my audition slot I walked up to their place and hung out with Steve during the unaccustomed Sunday break. Mostly, he composed and I read Paula's Riverside Shakespeare. At this point they haven't decided for sure if they'll leave Seattle. At least for a while Steve will stay around town, and I assured him he had a place to stay if they decide to give up the apartment (and it's a great one). I'll miss Paula when she goes, and Steve as much if they decide to leave the area permanently. One of the schools there has an MFA program for film scoring which pricks Steve's interest. I just can't find any real sadness about it. There is a pang, realizing one or both of them will be far away, possibly permanently. I can't separate it from the stronger pang of happiness. It is wonderful to see friends get terrific opportunities such as this.
I look forward to going to a show at a major theatre directed by Paula, seeing a major movie scored by Steve, and a major show with Gregory in a principle role -- our friend in the acting MFA program at Rutgers. I've seen them in those roles in fringe theatre, worked with them in those roles. It is fun stuff to imagine for the future. We are all serious artists who converged in the camaraderie of productions to become good and close friends. It's highly unlikely we'll all work on the same project again (but who knows for sure?). I'll carry their influence where I go, and they'll carry mine. What more can you hope for as you navigate this existence?
1 Comments:
I was visiting Rutgers, I will be in the MFA acting program next year, and met Gregory. He is a great guy! I hope you enjoyed the show. I assume you saw Peace Prize.
Post a Comment
<< Home