Acting Up

My musings, thoughts, rants, and discoveries. - Scott Maddock

Back to Blogging


I haven't blogged here since 2012. Why am I making a stab at it again?

I realized two things about social media I wanted to get away from. First was that I was often using it as a journal, which is boring and maybe TMI for those platforms. Secondly I was using it too much for my taste, so that I felt like a tool for marketers rather than using social media as a tool for my ends.




Monday, March 20, 2006

Happily Raging

Yesterday I had a nice productive day in class. Not like Friday which had a couple amazing moments for me personally. Just building on the confidence and experience from Friday, to get me in a better place, both in my journey and how I attend to my classes. It is funny, it has me thinking about our government in a harshly candid, but not angry way. It sounds angry, but it didn't feel that way.

I am utterly disgusted with the cowardice of both political parties which Senator Feingold has highlighted. Weak-kneed people like saying it was a bad political move, it made him and the other democrats look bad. Feingold because he's not playing by the unwritten rulebook, the rest of the democrats because it makes it appear they have no cohesiveness or moral compass. Duh! The truth seems to really bother all these cowering naysayers. Screw the spineless democrats, who only want to gain the reins of a corrupted state. F*** the republicans, who only want to keep getting away with more and more blatant corruption.

Shame on anyone who calls for making concessions before the battle for our country's soul has been joined. Anyone who disapproves of the current climate of corruption and is upset with people like Feingold for not being politically nice and meek had better take a very long look in the mirror. You won't see bravery in that mirror, and that is what is needed if there is to be change. Compromising truth, liberty, and integrity are not yet options. Let the fight start, because there is no way in Hell the people enjoying unprecedented powers and wealth are going to give up an iota of their new power without a fight.

What is the worst that can happen for having the guts to take a stand? More shills willing to openly support the privatizing our country into the ground will get into office. Does it matter if the shill is a spineless democrat or a grasping republican? Of course not. A spineless democrat may cave to corporate money slightly slower, but it is an imperceptible difference. I don't want to see power shift to spineless democrats. I'd rather wait another 4, 8, or 16 years, and get some people with integrity and a love for the founding principles of this nation in office. The likes of Kerry, Cantwell, and Clinton will not take a stand. They don't want to change course. They are simply standing in line for the goodies the GOP leaves behind.

Driving into work this morning I enjoyed the beautiful day. I realized what a wonderful privilege that is, thinking about people in Iraq. How often do they get to enjoy such a thing? I also thought about our government, which I wrote of in the previous three paragraphs. Despite the dark nature of these thoughts, I still felt great. Spring was officially a little over an hour away as I drove in, and my time is preoccupied with new beginnings. Things seem to be getting interesting at work in a good way. More significantly, ETI, which is over half way done is certainly ushering in new beginnings for me.

Do these new beginnings have anything to do with the depredations of our government? No. It simply makes one hopeful. I'm stretched pretty thin at the moment because of ETI, where I am training in my art. When I finish and get back to practicing my art I may be more effective in encouraging the courage and honesty which I know our society needs to rediscover. I bet I will be a better writer too, and the allegorical (or is it metaphorical?) play I have on the back, back burner may again see the light of day.

Well, my brave friends, enjoy the Spring. The simple pleasures are likely the ones which matter.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice post. I argued with some readers of the Stranger blog yesterday about the re-election campaign of Cantwell. Many of them, Savage included, felt that re-electing Cantwell was a must as they wanted desparately to have the Democrats back in control of the Senate. Savage went so far as to say "I want Reid to be in charge of the Senate."

Harry Reid? Anti-abortion, weak, bumbling leader, Harry Reid? Good God. That position was supported by a number of people, but there were also a number like myself who declared we would not vote for Cantwell. She's a horrible Senator. She is not very different from her predecessor on the issues. She sides too often with the Republicans and has been trying to have it both ways with the issue of the war.

I'm tired of hearing the Dems that argue: "We were misled when it came to WMD and Iraq." Fuck that. There were plenty of people around who didn't buy that position and these elected officials did not seek out other voices because it was politically inconvenient at the time. They made their political stand and now they should have the guts to just lie in it; not try to have it both ways. Besides, WMD was a side dish to the real issue which was that Hussein had nothing to do with the people who attacked us and those folks should have been the target. So, either way you look at it, Cantwell and her ilk are on the wrong side of the issue. People who vote for her just to get the Dems in power are nothing but apologists for the same power structures and lack of principals that have stifled development in this country for years. Indeed, though they would rage against me for saying it, they are conservatives who, like their brethren Republicans, would rather that things stay the same (only with their side in power) rather than see real change and progress. If they truly want to be liberal, then they are betting on the wrong structure and/or are horribly misguided.

It's nice to read about how your ETI is going. I enjoy reading about the breakthroughs as well as the challenges. Congrats!

5:33 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home