Acting Up

My musings, thoughts, rants, and discoveries. - Scott Maddock

Back to Blogging


I haven't blogged here since 2012. Why am I making a stab at it again?

I realized two things about social media I wanted to get away from. First was that I was often using it as a journal, which is boring and maybe TMI for those platforms. Secondly I was using it too much for my taste, so that I felt like a tool for marketers rather than using social media as a tool for my ends.




Monday, March 27, 2006

Degrees

The multiple homicide on Capitol Hill in Seattle hasn't affected me directly. As it unfolds I expect to find only a degree of separation. I imagine some of my friends know some of the people involved. Two of them worked at Madison Market, and I've a number of friends who shop there a lot, including Steve and Paula who only live a block or two from the market. I thought about this a bit commuting to class and drill the last two days. "Piano" mentioned it in her blog, and I responded:

===================== Start =====================
The club/bar they started at shares a building with one of the theatres I hang out at. It is a great place, and usually produces outstanding shows. I've seen many productions there, though not worked at that venue yet, which is two and a half blocks from the studio I'm studying at. I've hung out at the bar a number of times after working on shows or with people who were in a show. There's an edginess in the back of my mind about this, as it is possible I might know someone. Thus far only a few names have been released.

Today as I was driving in for morning drill, I stopped to let some people cross the street, and looked at the street sign, seeing I was on 12th and Republican, just 9 blocks from the house where the shooting occurred. (21st and Rep.). It was a surreal moment. Life goes on as it should, yet there is a weight in the air.

I think of the many gregarious and generous young actors I have worked with, and pray none of them were there. I know the chances are very slim any of them were involved, but logic doesn't keep you from being concerned about people you care about or love.
===================== End =====================

The victim's names have been released now, and I don't recognize any of them. It may turn out I was acquainted with one of them, but I may never know for sure. They are all too young, and the 14 and 15 year old kids are heartbreaking. Thus far it sounds like the victims were warm good hearted and generous people, and several of them talented artists.

Several of the news accounts have mentioned this was the worst killing in Seattle since the Wah Mee Massacre in which 13 people were executed at a gambling club robbery in 1983. I was driving a cab at the time, literally. I think it happened during or just before a shift change, so I was likely within twenty blocks of that when it happened. The cab lot was about half way between the two crime scenes separated by 23 years.

It is amazing how things like these can connect to us. I was fresh out of Seattle University in 1983, and felt connected to the area through going to Seattle University. Now, I'm studying at an acting studio two or three blocks from my alma mater. I'm a lot more connected to the community now, even though I don't live there.

I'm not a gambler, I'm not a raver, but circumstances gave me a feeling of personal connection to both events. Should I dwell on that? Or focus on all the great connections and relationships I have as a result of those very same circumstances? Duh. I suppose there are a lot of people who will be less accepting with strangers and that is a shame, to let fear rule you. I can understand for those intimately involved. There is a risk inherent in existence, and a risk necessary to exist meaningfully. Where is the balance? Do you shut off the world because of danger? Or do you embrace it, and in so doing make it a safer and more vibrant place?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home