New Beginnings
Top billing today for my pop culture friends. Don Knotts, Dennis Weaver, and Darren McGavin passed away this weekend. Three of my favorite character actors. Three of my favorite actors. The seem like friends because of the fun and enjoyment they brought me growing up.
Friday:   Don Knotts     81
Friday:   Dennis Weaver 81
Saturday: Darren McGavin 83
All three of these men created full, rich, and varied characters, which is why they were loved so much by so many generations. Don Knotts was perhaps the least type cast, which seems counter-intuitive until you think about the different roles over the years. They all had great range which people often don't recognize when someone has very distinct characteristics. My fantasy would be for them to work together on the boards wherever they may now be.
I didn't get to see a show on Friday. I didn't get to my brother's house on Saturday. To be more accurate, I chose not to do either. I was out of gas, and went to bed early both evenings. That was my exciting weekend.
Last week I was especially disgusted with the continuing entrenched, institutional power grab of the right at the expense of personal freedom, personal liberty, and personal health and wealth. This is a bit sad I suppose, that I need to be in good health and well rested in order to endure the steady slide of my once grand country into tyranny. Or, that I have to be feeling crappy to really see how fear is imploding our country.
It is nice to be in a better frame of mind. I missed a show a I wanted to see, some time with my brother, sister-in-law, and kids. I probably wouldn't have appreciated them anyway.
Yesterday was a strange class day. I did horribly with my Shakespeare monologue in the Audition class in the morning. Decent work as Petruccio in Acting/Text class in the evening. And for movement some amazing work in the afternoon. A soft breakthrough of sorts. The hardest part was listening to the feedback. It was amazing to hear what people said and I just looked and listened with glistening eyes, because I did not trust myself to speak.
I got into doing some very deep work, which apparently shook people up a bit, the sadness of my character zapping some. It is something which has been building the last couple weeks, and seeing what this new feeling of release can do when I give it reign and rein was affirming. The letting go wasn't that affecting. Neither was the work itself. It was a joy and relief in going somewhere with some facility, rather than an epic struggle and unique epiphany.
I resisted acknowledging the compliments at first. Again, that old make yourself smaller habit. I think there was also a desire to avoid making this seem a special event, as I don't want to get it in my head as some sort of rare moment. It was a rarity at one time, and if nothing else my aggressive pursuit of training has been to help me reproduce that type of truth consistently. I said, "Thank you George.", and shut up for the rest of the feedback. I suppose it was a beginning of bringing something new to my work on what I hope will become a regular basis, and such beginnings are rare.
Friday:   Don Knotts     81
Friday:   Dennis Weaver 81
Saturday: Darren McGavin 83
All three of these men created full, rich, and varied characters, which is why they were loved so much by so many generations. Don Knotts was perhaps the least type cast, which seems counter-intuitive until you think about the different roles over the years. They all had great range which people often don't recognize when someone has very distinct characteristics. My fantasy would be for them to work together on the boards wherever they may now be.
I didn't get to see a show on Friday. I didn't get to my brother's house on Saturday. To be more accurate, I chose not to do either. I was out of gas, and went to bed early both evenings. That was my exciting weekend.
Last week I was especially disgusted with the continuing entrenched, institutional power grab of the right at the expense of personal freedom, personal liberty, and personal health and wealth. This is a bit sad I suppose, that I need to be in good health and well rested in order to endure the steady slide of my once grand country into tyranny. Or, that I have to be feeling crappy to really see how fear is imploding our country.
It is nice to be in a better frame of mind. I missed a show a I wanted to see, some time with my brother, sister-in-law, and kids. I probably wouldn't have appreciated them anyway.
Yesterday was a strange class day. I did horribly with my Shakespeare monologue in the Audition class in the morning. Decent work as Petruccio in Acting/Text class in the evening. And for movement some amazing work in the afternoon. A soft breakthrough of sorts. The hardest part was listening to the feedback. It was amazing to hear what people said and I just looked and listened with glistening eyes, because I did not trust myself to speak.
I got into doing some very deep work, which apparently shook people up a bit, the sadness of my character zapping some. It is something which has been building the last couple weeks, and seeing what this new feeling of release can do when I give it reign and rein was affirming. The letting go wasn't that affecting. Neither was the work itself. It was a joy and relief in going somewhere with some facility, rather than an epic struggle and unique epiphany.
I resisted acknowledging the compliments at first. Again, that old make yourself smaller habit. I think there was also a desire to avoid making this seem a special event, as I don't want to get it in my head as some sort of rare moment. It was a rarity at one time, and if nothing else my aggressive pursuit of training has been to help me reproduce that type of truth consistently. I said, "Thank you George.", and shut up for the rest of the feedback. I suppose it was a beginning of bringing something new to my work on what I hope will become a regular basis, and such beginnings are rare.
0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home