Dunno
The audition yesterday. We started with movement work, getting well warmed up, which included physical improv. It was rather fun. Then on to paired improvs. We were split into two groups, and each group given different circumstances. Then we waited in different areas. I was in group B, and was called third or fourth to work with the mystery guest from group A. That was fun too. Then the monologues, the part which terrified me.
I was in the middle of the list. I tend to volunteer first or last, and wonder if that had anything to do with my place in the list, as I've studied quite a bit with two of the three auditors, George and Robin. I went in and did my modern monologue, and waited for the inevitable direction and playing I was expecting after talking to Gregory and attending the two informational sessions on the Ensemble Training Intensive (ETI). "Thank you. Do you have any questions?" Oh shit, It wasn't inevitable after all.
I had a Friar Lawrence monologue prepared, and I almost asked, "Can I do my classic monologue now?" I figured that would make me feel an idiot, and since it was optional and I wasn't as confident about it I said, "No." then added, "When will we hear back?" Damn, my first cattle call type audition and I muffed it. The nice thing, which will be important to remember was I lost my butterflies when I walked into the room. Next time I'll also want to remember to take a deep centering breath before I launch.
Other people had a similar experience, and we were rather bemused. I have absolutely no idea how I did. At least I'm not alone in that. There were 18 auditioners, for I believe, 16 slots. I liked the chemistry of the whole group and would love to work with all (or sixteen) of them. In a week we'll know. Logically I know I've a good chance. Personally, I just don't know. That actor voice tells me, "You sucked." Well, I know that is not true. I could have done a Hell of a lot better. I could have done a whole Hell of a lot worse. Thanks to Paula and Jessica for the search and prep work. The experience I've had, Meisner perhaps the most significant, made a huge difference. I know what I am capable of and how to move that way. Two years ago when I was applying for the Meisner Progression, I could not have touched what I did yesterday. I'm not sure I could actually visualize myself doing it.
It's an interesting place. I was nervous as never before in theatre for that monologue. I got in the room moved a chair, and did it. Did I rush? Did I fail to change? Was my intention clear? Well that's gone from my awareness too. I know I'll be happy with either answer. I'm ready to make the commitment for ETI (Ensemble Training Intensive) now. There are other things I would like to work on this year as well, so I certainly won't be kicking my heals doing nothing.
For now it is out of my hands, and I'm relaxed. I have nothing this week, except a couple days of vacation when I'll visit my friends, Dave, Kalon, and kids on Vancouver Island, British Columbia. My Shakespeare Intensive class starts on Sunday at 5PM, and by then I'll probably be rarin' to go again. Short breaks from theatre are about all I can take. Though, if I get into ETI, I'll probably want two, or maybe even three weeks respite after that.
It feels good to be at ease, though down deep I'm chomping at the bit to get into the Shakespeare Intensive. Right now, work is still crazy and I've been in reactive mode for several weeks. I can hardly wait until this project is done. Lots of stuff I want to fix or make better. More chomping.
Oh my God. I just got a letter back from the Seattle Times letter editor. They're planning on printing the letter I sent in Friday in tomorrow's paper. A satire, and once I find it I'll post the link and text. And surprise, surprise, surprise. It's a political barb.
I was in the middle of the list. I tend to volunteer first or last, and wonder if that had anything to do with my place in the list, as I've studied quite a bit with two of the three auditors, George and Robin. I went in and did my modern monologue, and waited for the inevitable direction and playing I was expecting after talking to Gregory and attending the two informational sessions on the Ensemble Training Intensive (ETI). "Thank you. Do you have any questions?" Oh shit, It wasn't inevitable after all.
I had a Friar Lawrence monologue prepared, and I almost asked, "Can I do my classic monologue now?" I figured that would make me feel an idiot, and since it was optional and I wasn't as confident about it I said, "No." then added, "When will we hear back?" Damn, my first cattle call type audition and I muffed it. The nice thing, which will be important to remember was I lost my butterflies when I walked into the room. Next time I'll also want to remember to take a deep centering breath before I launch.
Other people had a similar experience, and we were rather bemused. I have absolutely no idea how I did. At least I'm not alone in that. There were 18 auditioners, for I believe, 16 slots. I liked the chemistry of the whole group and would love to work with all (or sixteen) of them. In a week we'll know. Logically I know I've a good chance. Personally, I just don't know. That actor voice tells me, "You sucked." Well, I know that is not true. I could have done a Hell of a lot better. I could have done a whole Hell of a lot worse. Thanks to Paula and Jessica for the search and prep work. The experience I've had, Meisner perhaps the most significant, made a huge difference. I know what I am capable of and how to move that way. Two years ago when I was applying for the Meisner Progression, I could not have touched what I did yesterday. I'm not sure I could actually visualize myself doing it.
It's an interesting place. I was nervous as never before in theatre for that monologue. I got in the room moved a chair, and did it. Did I rush? Did I fail to change? Was my intention clear? Well that's gone from my awareness too. I know I'll be happy with either answer. I'm ready to make the commitment for ETI (Ensemble Training Intensive) now. There are other things I would like to work on this year as well, so I certainly won't be kicking my heals doing nothing.
For now it is out of my hands, and I'm relaxed. I have nothing this week, except a couple days of vacation when I'll visit my friends, Dave, Kalon, and kids on Vancouver Island, British Columbia. My Shakespeare Intensive class starts on Sunday at 5PM, and by then I'll probably be rarin' to go again. Short breaks from theatre are about all I can take. Though, if I get into ETI, I'll probably want two, or maybe even three weeks respite after that.
It feels good to be at ease, though down deep I'm chomping at the bit to get into the Shakespeare Intensive. Right now, work is still crazy and I've been in reactive mode for several weeks. I can hardly wait until this project is done. Lots of stuff I want to fix or make better. More chomping.
Oh my God. I just got a letter back from the Seattle Times letter editor. They're planning on printing the letter I sent in Friday in tomorrow's paper. A satire, and once I find it I'll post the link and text. And surprise, surprise, surprise. It's a political barb.
The typo, I'd hoped would like a typical Bushism, but it doesn't play that way. Oh, well.
Wagging the bulldog
Former friend now faux
Iraq has been such a roaring success, George Bush and his planners have decided to exact the same style vengeance for the London bombings.
In the name of consistency, strong leadership and Republican morality, intelligence is now being compiled and invasion plans drafted. We must deal with that most heinous supporter of al-Qaida, builder of WMD, and breeding ground for terrorists. Luxembourg!
Don't forget, you must approve this course of action. In the words of Bush and his revered role models, You're with us or your against us!
— Scott Maddock, Redmond
3 Comments:
Funny! Damn, Luxembourg! I'm ready for this battle. My plan: To run for office and lobby hard for this war, then send military recruiters to all of my neighbor's kids. My children, if I had any, would be exempt, of course.
I like your humour! I've been thinking something along those lines too...
Thank you, I was hoping for an international chuckle. It turns out my roommate has a friend in Luxembourg to whom he forwarded it. I'm hoping for an international incident too. :)
Post a Comment
<< Home